Near Death

I got the call I always dreaded

I got the call I always dreaded. The twins were two on my hips, three year old Alvin holding my shirt. Luckily MillieFlorence was at school because I didn't grab anything other than the children. I dreaded having to tell her. How do you explain to any of your children daddy was in hospital. What made it worse was Will saying he didn't know if he was going to make it, that he lost a lot of blood. We hadn't got married yet. I hadn't cried I didn't want to. "Want me to take them" Kelly asks appearing out in of nowhere "daddy" Alvin said racing over "is daddy jay" "we don't know yet" I said quickly "Lilah let me take them" he pretty much demanded "I'm on break let me help" April said the two taking the twins, Alvin was already in Kellys arms.
I walk out of the bathroom after my mini breakdown. I sat as Lexi Rose ran over to me "I want daddy" that alone brought tears to my eyes. I wanted more than anything to make this better.

The twins were both asleep one on me, the other on April each wrapped up in jackets, Kelly had taken Alvin to the fire station to distract him. Despite me not wanting to bring more pain to my babies I couldn't bring myself to let go of the twins. "How am I meant to raise four kids without him" "hey he will be fine and you have all of us" April said she had finished and like Will never left. Only April stayed to help me and he stayed for his brother more than me even if he claims the kids help. I couldn't bring myself to leave. Luckily my dad or one of the team picked MillieFlorence up so I didn't have to worry. My only request was that they don't tell her, I want to do that no matter how painful it is.

I watch the new girl on the team, I hadn't met her. She walked in and gave hailey a bag. Hailey had also refused to leave. I heard bits and pieces of what they were saying but the thing that caught my attention was her telling hailey that Hailey was in love with him. I don't know if she would have said it if they knew I was still across the room. It did break my heart. I however trusted jay, against my better judgment. I just knew he wouldn't risk loosing everything. He knew I would take the babies, I suppose lucky for him I wouldn't leave Chicago because of Kelly. He tells me all the time letting me leave is his biggest regret so why would he risk it. I hated that she had those feelings for him and was his partner, but I guess she will fight harder than ever to keep him alive.

I get up careful not to wake Lexi and walk into my dads arms him holding me tight. The whole team had stopped by and I could feel their eyes on me. I watch as Kim took Justin who's clingy to anyone, luckily fast asleep like Lexi. "I'm going to go home I'll be back later I'll even bring food" I nod unable to speak. "How are they" "well she wants her daddy his clingy to everyone more than usual and Kelly has distracted Alvin with fire trucks" I said I don't know how I got it out without crying. "Mummy Addy let me turn the sirens on" MillieFlorence ran over to me I kneel down catching her effortlessly. I'm just thankful I had been cleared to carry them yesterday, Obviously still have to be cautious. I carefully pass Lexi to my dad like she is a bomb because she is. "Moon baby" I begin sitting beside her "where's daddy I made him a picture" she goes to her bag getting it rushing back over to show me. Tears building in my eyes "he will love it" I said mindlessly "moon you know how daddy's job is extra important and really dangerous" "yeah he taught me how to spell dangerous" she only six and I have to break her heart "well something bad really bad happened and daddy got hurt" "daddy's big and strong he will be ok" I gasp as tears drip from my eyes, her little hands reaching out to wipe them "don't cry mummy" "MillieMoon daddy he was badly hurt uncle Will said they don't know if daddy will be ok" "but daddy promised to take me to the museum cause I wanted to see the plants he also promised to read me my favourite story because he said two books and I wanted three so he promise when he finish work...daddy never break a promise" she mumbled the last bit making me cry. How was I meant to raise them without him. He can't die on me now.

MillieFlorence hadn't left my side and refused to sleep. She was convinced if she slept Jay would break his promises to her. How could I tell her that's not how it worked when I could barely explain what happened. She's six she doesn't understand that her daddy who is her hero isn't a hero to everyone, some people don't like her daddy a lot because his a cop. "Daddy I want daddy" Lexi Rose screamed making me turn to my dad who was holding the two year old tightly. Justin hadn't said a word which I think scares me more. The twins are two so the understand less than MillieFlorence. They barely understood that he was hurt and they couldn't see him. I hold my arms out causing her to dive into them, my dad almost dropping her not expecting it. The moment she's in my arms Justin is trying to silently tell Kim he wants his grandpa. "Kim he wants my dad" "what how" "I just know" I shrug smiling as he snuggled into my daddy.

"Mummy see daddy jay now look" Alvin said running in holding up a new fire truck "special powers" "Matt got it for him" Kelly said. I ended up sitting on the floor so MillieFlorence could snuggle one side, Lexi Rose the other, Alvin sat between my legs leaning into me and Justin on my chest. I don't know how I made it work but I did. "Are you ok you eaten" "made me sick but yeah I did had to encourage them to eat" I answer pointing to the twins "his eaten just missed you and wanted a daddy jay hug" I quietly chuckle "it's where jay chases him and when he catches him it's the tightest hug jay can do without hurting him jay always jokes that he caught the bad guy or something and this one would say his not the bad guy his the good guy happens almost everyday...always ends with laughter and one of the twins joining the hug" he nods I run one hand through Millieflorences hair the other through Alvin's. I just want MillieFlorence to sleep and wouldn't complain if my most hyper child slept, although his pretty docile currently. "Jay will be ok" "will he Kelly because the longer I'm here the more I hear about the blood loss and which artery it hit the more I loose hope" "he will fight to not leave you or them just like you did" he reminds me tears building in my eyes again but I refuse to let them fall and my babies see my pain. "Go to work Kelly I know they need you back my dads or one of the team is constantly checking on me" I said knowing they did probably need him back "I'll come by later if you need me to take one or all of them" I nod "they catch the person" "yeah Hailey was there apparently she's in this hospital to I didn't want to know more" he nods "you call me if he gets to much" he said knowing how hyper our child could be. I just nod.