Hurt

And you could have it all
My empire of dirt

"Holy fuck, I'm never gettin' in the car with the three of you ever again." Jade's voice trembled with exhaustion as they finally pulled up. She practically lunged out of the car with an aggressive shove, the weight of the silence still heavy in her chest.

No one responded, and she rolled her eyes at each slam of the door.

"Miguel! Mi corazon!" A heart-wrenching cry echoed from the apartment before them, and soon Miguel was engulfed in the tight embrace of his mother. His grandmother shuffled close behind, tears streaming down her weathered face. "Oh, oh... Miguel."

Jade stood awkwardly beside the van, her hands buried deep in her pockets, boots scuffing the dirt below. A pair of dirty sneakers appeared beside her.

"It's like an 8-minute walk back to the apartment," Robby muttered lowly. Jade watched as Johnny approached the trio, his movements hesitant before being engulfed in a forced embrace.

"We'd have to go grocery shopping," Jade knew Robby was looking at her, but his attention wasn't fully on her.

"Dollar General is on the way."

"Alright." Jade shrugged away the heavy feeling in her chest to grab her backpack from Robby's hands. "I'm thinking some instant noodles."

"And I'm thinking you need to eat real vegetables." The duo quietly turned around, not wanting to disturb the tender reunion before them. A reunion with their blood but not their own. "Seriously, when was the last time you ate something that wasn't fast food, fried, or processed?"

"When was the last time you bleh bleh," Jade mocked in a high-pitched voice as they started to walk down the highway. "Man, it's not like I had a fuckin' private chef the past few weeks."

Robby made sure he was on the side closest to the road before he shoved her.

"Speaking of the past few weeks," Robby began, and Jade groaned loudly. He sighed. "Are you... are you okay?"

"Are we just gonna start talking about our feelings now? Like little teenage girls sharing secrets and braiding each other's hair?"

"Jade, you are a teenage girl!" Robby stepped in front of Jade at the intersection they had just reached, grabbing her by the shoulders. She refused to meet his gaze, and he shook her gently. "Seriously! What happened in Mexico is messed up. What happened to us is messed up. What happened to all of us? Fucked! But I'm not going to let you bottle it in."

For a moment, Jade was silent. A long moment. But soon enough, she looked at him with a sneer on her lip as she pushed him aside. "Oh, so a 10-hour drive and now you wanna talk?" She stormed across the street, ignoring the honks from impatient drivers. "Fuck you!" she flipped off the car and continued her walk.

"Jade." Robby groaned as he quickly followed behind her, waving awkwardly in apology to the angry drivers. "Jade!"

"What, Robby?" Jade stopped in the middle of the intersection, causing a car to swerve around her. "Do you really think now's the time?"

"If not now, when?"

"Okay, let's talk." Jade threw her arms up, letting them drop down with a smack. "Let's talk about how your father pretended to take you out on a bonding trip only to have it be to go grab the guy you hate the most."

"Jade-"

"And that kid is the kid he's been treating like a son—better than his own blood!" A car pulled up next to them, honking, but Jade barely glanced at it. "Go around, fuckface!"