Reptilia

I said, please don't slow me down if I'm going too fast

Jade wasn't going to tell the poor kid no. The way those wide, pleading blue eyes looked up at her with such helplessness...

She was unable to say no.

It would be a tragedy to say no.

Looks like the fire was burning and it was her job to fan the flame.

.......

Jade had agreed with Demetri on one thing that day.

She would not go back to the dojo.

It had nothing to do with the insults and battering.

Jade was used to that.

Instead, it was scheduling that prevented her attendance. Jade had to work and Karate interfered. She didn't really need the classes anyways, it's why she kept a knife on her.

But when Eli, her sweet chiqui, somehow found her apartment that night and was at her door in tears...

"Please. I don't want to be me anymore."

"I like you, chiqui. Why change?"

"I'm tired of society telling me w-what I'm supposed to be because of some... shit on my face."

Jade nodded, accepting the answer and brought him inside the rundown apartment.

"Welcome to the life of a punk, kid."

......

Eli took the chance to drink in the living space. It wasn't hard finding the girls address, he kinda already knew it. The address was on the front of the journal she used almost every day and after glancing at it so much... it was in his head.

The apartment was a studio layout, meaning everything was in one large room. The walls held posters of random bands, fabric flags, and newspaper clippings that held no rhyme or reason. An unmade mattress was shoved in the corner near the window and clothes were strewn around mixed with boxes of hair dye and hair spray. A few bean bag chairs were in the room and a guitar sat up in the corner, music sheets strewn around.

Looking over at Jade, he saw the girl walk over to the kitchen counter and put out her cigarette. He didn't know she smoked.

After Jade had thrown the cigarette in a box of butts, she walked past Eli and motioned him to follow her onto the bean bags.

"So, you want to change, chiqui?" Jade reached to a scratched up bedside table. "Who do you want to be?" She pulled out a box of cigarettes and lit up another stick.

Eli coughed a bit at the smoke.

"Y-you." Jade raised an eyebrow, blowing out a small puff of smoke and watched it dissipate before answering.

"You can't be me."

"W-why not?" Eli asked dejectedly.

"Because I'm me, mi chiqui dulce." Jade gestured to the boy with her empty hand. "You're Eli."

Eli thought for a moment.

"Where are your parents?"

"Who the fuck knows anymore?" The mint haired girl kicked a box of hair dye and watched it hit the wall. "I'm an emancipated minor." Eli's eyes watched the hair dye and then flickered over to the teens hair.

"I know who I want to be."

Jade offered the cigarette to Eli who hesitated. Nervous blue eyes flickered to bold green.