Brain Food

I'm stalling
Time wasting
It's hopeless
Frustrated

All Hawk had talked about during the months after his transformation was the big karate tournament. He was so excited to be bad ass in front of a crowd.

The teen used to barge in the apartment after class, smile on his face. He'd use her shower and then they would share a coke and beer (the beer being Jade's). Eventually the conversation would lead to him showing her what he'd learn and sometimes make her be his opponent.

She loved it when he pinned her down.

But then the nights would lead to her having to go to work. Sometimes the band would drive him home and other nights Jade would find him crashed out on her mattress at 4 in the morning.

Today... today was lonely and quiet. No one had burst down her door in over a week and the fridge still had a pack of Coke minus one on the bottom shelf.

Jade didn't like Coke.

And on her days off, Jade found herself in a man's arms.

Rafael. The 32-year old son of the Underground and someone who helped her with rent.

When she did what he wanted.

Jade was strong.

On the day of her 14th birthday, she marched into the court house and plead her case to the court. Her parents didn't object and the financial sponsor was legitimate.

Jade did what she needed to in order to survive and she wasn't going to stop now.

Her flame still shone brighter.

.......

Lunches were... different. No longer did the young girl bring a ham and cheese to school and eat at the familiar table.

Jade wasn't going to sit next to him.

But her table had been invaded by freshmen.

Instead, Jade found herself sneaking out behind the dumpsters and would smoke two cigarettes before the bell rang.

Demetri no longer waited for her to talk about Game of Thrones.

Miguel was no longer there to talk soccer.

No one was there anymore and life was too quiet.

Fuck this.

Jade slammed her locker closed and turned around. Moon and Hawk happened to be walking in that direction, the boys arm holding the girl close.

Green crashed into blue.

I made you, chiqui. I can destroy you.

Jade shoved her shoulder into Hawks with a sneer as she continued to walk away and left the school.

But why do I not want to?!

......

"What's goin' on, Jade?" Blake sat down next to the girl who had just finished her fourth cigarette in 20 minutes. "Tell me what happened." The girl rolled her eyes and let out a puff of smoke.

"I'm perfectly fine, Queen B."

"Then why did you come out Rough Ralf's office earlier." Jade went quiet. Everyone knew what that particular walk of shame meant. The club called a woman or man who came out of there "paying their bills." For the most part, it was young teens who were at risk.