Chapter 57 - Fighting Enemies, Fighting Lovers

▕⃝⃤

The morning light seeping in through the balcony doors rouses you. Your eyes open then shut tightly at the brightness. You clear your throat and reach an arm behind you, finding the bed missing Severus. The warmth from his spot is long gone - you wonder if he found sleep. You sit up cautiously, worried for pain from your Splinching but all you feel is a dull ache. That milk bath he concocted actually accelerated your healing. Of course it did, Severus made it, after all.

You stand and stretch your arms over your head, sighing gleefully as your muscles loosen. You occupy the bathroom for a while - you have a proper shower and wash your face, applying some foundation and mascara. You begin to enchant your hair until it's dry and straight. Just when you finish, your reflection makes you falter.

You look... normal. Like you're getting ready to go teach first years how to use their cauldrons for the first time. Like you're getting ready to face extra brooding Severus this morning. Your lips twitch upward and you laugh once, looking away from yourself. That is not you anymore. That will never be you again. Not with Potter making little to no progress on hunting the Horcruxes. Not with the Dark Lord in control of you. Not with the Dark Mark forever embedded into the skin of your forearm.

You pinch the bridge of your nose with force so you do not cry. You inhale deeply and calm your mind. Your life will not be as beautiful as it once was. You just have to hope you can help make it beautiful again for everyone else's sake.

You dress in a floor length, deep green tunic and slowly make your way out of the Headmaster's Chambers. You slow your stride when you hear Severus' baritone voice speaking heatedly.

"It is March, Dumbledore! It has been months since the locket was destroyed! Potter has made no progress! [First name] nearly died trying to get one out of Bellatrix's vault!" Severus seethes and turns, pacing quickly back and forth across the office. You lean against the corridor between the office and chambers, remaining silent. He returns to Dumbledore's portrait, holding his hands out in question. "You have left me a war in which I cannot win! You have left me a war that will leave me either dead or in Azkaban!"

Dumbledore begins to speak, but Severus yanks the portrait down and slams it against the wall so he cannot reply. You slowly approach him, eyeing him worriedly. He's running his hands through his hair with his stiff back to you. Slowly, you creep up behind him and wrap your arms around his waist. You feel him ease back into you smoothly, his muscles loosen, he sighs slowly. His warm hands find yours on his stomach.

"Gods, I have missed you," he breathes. You smile into his back, taking in the scent of his robes.

"Perhaps this evening you can show me just how much," you tease, smirking. You feel his body laugh quietly. You slowly release him and he turns to face you. He grabs your jaw with one hand and tilts your head back, then leans down to your lips. His lips greet yours slowly and entrancingly. It makes you want more - his tongue, his skin, his cock. Just when you push your tongue against his lips, he pulls back, shaking his head.

"Do not tempt me, witch," he warns. His dark eyes flick to the grandfather clock on the wall. "You need to go to class. The Carrows have grown highly suspicious of your whereabouts."

You groan out loud, roll your eyes - how annoying. Severus strides to his desk and sits down.

"Well, aren't you coming to breakfast?" you ask.

He doesn't reply for a moment. "No. The other professors loathe me and I do not feel like putting up a front for the Carrows," he admits.

You walk to him and lean back against his desk. You eye him until he finally meets your gaze. His eyes are tired - not just physically. He is running on empty, utterly exhausted. No willpower left to even go to the Great Hall for breakfast.