Chapter 36 - November

November comes quickly and midterms are in bloom. Harry Potter has continued his mystery lessons with Dumbledore. Though Snape has pressed Dumbledore on what he's teaching Potter, Dumbledore brushes him off, telling Snape he is teaching Harry what is imperative. This makes Snape angry - he's actually been sulking. You suppose Dumbledore is his mentor and for him to be hiding something from Snape must hurt.

You've been busy with work, but finally have a free day with no classes to teach. You've been meaning to visit your father (or have you) so you make your way to the library. You find him at one of the tables against the wall. Several stacks of books surround him. One floats in front of his face as he reads it. He lazily flicks his finger and the page turns. You approach him now but he doesn't look at you.

"What can I help you with?" Cain inquires.

You cross your arms and arch a brow. Finally, Cain turns to you. The book that was floating in front of him falls to the table - he's lost his concentration. His grey eyes stare at you, taking you in.

"Merlin's beard, you look like Leah." He says, breathlessly.

You smile small and sit down across from him.

"She was much more beautiful." You greet.

Cain, dressed in simple black robes, shakes his head.

"I'd disagree. Just as beautiful. Perhaps more." Cain admires.

You look down and let yourself miss your mother for only a moment.

"Have you found anything Dumbledore may be looking for?" You ask.

Cain shakes his head, then shrugs, clearly unsure of himself.

"A few things. Led to dead ends. I'm not even a quarter of the way finished with the library. It'll take me several months to scour all of the books." Cain says, dreadfully.

You cock your head.

"Much better than Wizapriz, no?" You question.

Cain leans back and laughs.

"Of course it is significantly better than prison."

You roll your eyes and pull your satchel up to the table, opening it. You slide him the letter from Narcissa Malfoy. He quickly reads it, then looks back up to you.

"What will you do?" Cain asks.

You shrug.

"Dumbledore, Moody, and Kingsley seem to think it's a good idea for me to go. I am not spying material like Severus is, however." You explain.

Cain slides the letter back to you and you tuck it away. He regards you with his eyes.

"What does he think?" Cain asks.

"Sev? He doesn't know. He'd command me not to go if he did." You explain.

Cain raises his brows.

"And you'd listen to such a command from another man?" Cain asks.

You shake your head and turn it to the window, seeing snow falling lightly.

"From any man besides Severus, no. I would let Severus, however, tell me what to do and probably listen." You admit.

Cain exhales.

"That is why I haven't told him. He'd tell me no. I wonder what they want - the death eaters. It sounds like they'd like to recruit me. But, it also could be a rouse...they want you, still. Severus says there are death eaters designated to look and find you. To capture you alive. What do you think the dark lord would do to you if he caught you?" You wonder.