Chapter 30 - Endless Summer, Explicit Events

Three days has passed since the little prison break of your father. No one has came looking for you, Hannah, or your father, though you were questioned by authorities a day after the escape. It's very suspicious that you and Hannah were visiting, then he came up missing. There is no evidence, however. The authorities took your solid statements and haven't said anything back, so you're sure all is well. There hasn't been information in any wizard newpaper that a prisoner has escaped Wizapriz - Dumbledore says it's because the prison doesn't want a bad reputation for losing prisoners.

In even better news, Severus hasn't been called by Lord Voldemort and has left Peter Pettigrew to reorganize his library and personal stores of potion ingredients, which should take him weeks, according to Snape. You've been catching up with your father since his return, telling him everything about the Triwizard Cup, the Order of the Phoenix, Umbridge, the death eater appearances, Lucius Malfoy and how he's tried to persuade you to join Voldemort, and the battle of the department of mysteries. Your father was most impressed with Severus - you suppose he can relate with him as Severus is a defected death eater as well. You tell him of how you first met Severus in Diagon Alley, in Flourish and Blotts, where you indirectly called him a daft dumbo. Cain laughed hard at that.

Being in prison has made your father physically weak - Hannah says he is to walk on the treadmill daily and eat full meals to help regain his muscle mass. The two of them have gotten along, likely for your sake, but it's almost like the summers you'd spend here with your parents and Hannah. It's content and happy. You just wish your mother could be here.

You expected to hold hatred for Cain, but you can't. He wasn't the one who killed your mother. He loved her. You can't blame him. All you can do is work to bring down the death eaters and Lord Voldemort. As terrifying as that sounds, you feel at ease because Severus is beside you, fighting the same fight. Doing more than you ever will, being braver than you ever could be, possibly being the biggest asset the Order has whilst half of them won't put their trust in him. It breaks your heart.

Friday comes quickly - Hannah has left for work and is planning on staying out for the night. You wonder where her and Tonks are going, but will wait to get the details. You and Severus haven't been able to have any alone time due to your father currently hiding in Hannah's house and you hope you can think of something to get you two alone.

While going through your mothers old things stored in a spare bedroom, you remember there is a small meadow filled with flowers not far from the wizard village Hannah lives in. It's a cloudy, cool day, which is Severus' favorite weather, so you decide it's ideal for a picnic.

After packing an assortment of finger foods and a few blankets, you change into one of your mother's old sundresses. It's a light green with lace trim and short, flowy sleeves. You find Severus in the small den, reading. He's retired his normal robes for a simple black dress shirt and black slacks. You walk to the arm chair he is in and run a hand through the back of his hair.

"Get your shoes on. We're going on a walk." You murmur.

Snape finishes reading the page he is on, places a book mark inside, then leans his head back to look at you. He stares at you for a moment, then arches a brow.

"Picnic?" He questions.

You nod, hitting the top of his head for reading your mind. You don't mind he does it - he never does it invasively, only during little conversations like this.

"It'll be fun. And we both need to leave the house." You explain.

Snape arches a brow.

"How far is it? Is it in the muggle part of here?" He inquires.