Chapter 24 - Anything For You

Halloween was uneventful during the school day - students ate their fill of candy and pulled pranks. The evening to follow was quite draining. Snape sort of just shut down and wouldn't speak, even when you begged him to. You use to think anniversaries were happy - but now that you celebrate the anniversary of your mother's death, you knew how badly this day haunts Severus. The feelings he has about Lily Potter's death are vague. It's as if he blames himself, as if it is somehow his fault.

There wasn't any classwork to grade, so you talked him into crawling into bed early with a tray of tea and biscuits. You read a scary story in the spirit of Halloween, curled up against him, and just when you were sure Snape wasn't listening, he surprised you by telling you the story was rubbish.

November comes quickly. Umbridge has issued more and more decrees, per the ministry, and Dumbledore is more and more scarce. Even Harry has expressed his concerns to you - being an Order member, he assumed you know where he is, but truthfully no one actually knows.

Dumbledore's Army has found a legitimate location - the Room of Requirement. You've begun instructing the students in brief lessons, mostly wand movements and spell pronunciations, but you've yet to demonstrate. Harry has shown the students a lot and you add in where you're able. You've actually learned and remembered quite a bit and feel the defense against the dark arts gears in your brain begin to turn.

Also during the month, you've begun to rotate guard duty with several other Order members. Mostly, you patrol with Mad Eye Moody on Sunday and Friday nights from midnight to six in the morning. It's very dull and boring - as if death eaters would just waltz in to try to take Harry Potter's prophecy. You find it all redundant and typically bring a book to read or write letters to Hannah. She's a little bitter with you - you haven't visited since summer, despite her requests. While it is comforting knowing she is there for you, it hurts you as well. Hannah misses your mother dearly - but you can't replace her.

You're coming back into the castle in the early morning from guard duty. It's a brisk mid - November morning and you're walking as fast as you're able. When you enter the castle, it's still chilly, but endurable. You make your way down to your chambers to quickly shower and change. When you walk into your bedroom, dressed in thick fleece pants and a sweatshirt, Severus is no where to be found. This panics you as he usually sleeps in your bed when your busy patrolling the department of mysteries. You leave your chambers and stride down the narrow corridor to his, the soft glow of the lanterns illuminating your path. You wave your wand over his chamber door and unlock it. You push it in and look around. His cloak isn't on the hook by the door. You go back to his bedroom and find him gone. Where is he? Was he called by the dark lord? What is he doing right now? Is he safe? You pace for a moment, utterly tired, worrying for him. You decide to go back to your room and wait.

You force yourself asleep with a calming draught, but it only lasts an hour. It's nearly eight in the morning when Snape comes back. You sit up in bed, feeling such relief at the mere sight of him. He's in his robes and slacks, save his cloak. He strides over to your bedside and places a hand on your cheek. He caresses just beneath your eye with his thumb.

"You scared me...no note, no anything." You begin.

He sits down beside you, offering you a reassuring smile. The room is glowing a dim blue from the morning sun that reflects through the water of the black lake. Snape's pale skin is reflecting that blue and his dark eyes flicker with shades of brown in the light.

"I'm sorry. I was...urgently called." He explains.

You stare at him, seeing he's showered. His hair is nearly dry but the ends stick together in clumps. You wonder what he was washing away, but are too tired to ask, so you just nod and lay back down.