Chapter 10 - Holiday and Hexes

With only a handful of students staying at the castle over the holiday, Hogwarts is abnormally quiet. It brings a sort of peace for you but you catch yourself spiraling into your thoughts. You think of Severus Snape and the ball, how he was a little different during the event, how you held each others hand on the long walk back to your chambers when it was over. You think of his slender fingers gripping the zipper of your dress and his knuckles tracing down your back as he undid it. You've been to plenty formal events, with dates, in your years. Not once have they not alluded to spending the night with you. Snape, however, did not try to get anything from you. You would have gladly offered yourself to the man - he's handsome and his way with words nearly sends you over the edge when he speaks. You want to know whats under his cloak and robes - but you even more so want to know whats inside his mind.

When you aren't trying to figure out Hogwart's potions master, your thoughts linger on your parents and the death eaters activity. Your nightmares, while decreasing, haven't completely gone away from the horrid night your mother was killed. You only pray your father is suffering miserably in prison. Even though you scour the daily prophets everyday, there really isn't thing going on - at least, there isn't anything being reported. From the few interviews you've read with the Minister of Magic, he denies anything and everything related to he-who-must-not-be-named.

Snape and Dumbledore stride through the corridors with their hands behind their backs, speaking softly to one another. They're heading to the great hall, both exhausted from their morning meeting, wanting a spot of breakfast. They extensively spoke about the disappearances and murders that have occurred since last summer, but neither of them can pinpoint if it is truly the dark lord or if it is just death eaters causing trouble. Dumbledore and Snape both think it is the dark lord, but there is hardly enough evidence to bring forth to the ministry to get them to believe it.

"How is Y/N?" Dumbledore murmurs.

Snape arches a brow and cocks his head.

"The same, I suppose."

Dumbledore hums in response and slows down. Snape rolls his eyes before stopping himself to face the headmaster. Dumbledore crosses his arms over his chest and looks at Snape.

"They were looking for something, you know. The death eater that killed her mother. Even broke into their vault looking for whatever it is."

Snape stares across to the elder wizard, seeing his blue eyes intently focused on his black ones. Snape scoffs.

"I will not ask her what they were looking for, Dumbeldore-"

"I'm not asking you that. She does not remember. I think she may have been obliviated or even imperio'ed to forget."

Snape narrows his eyes, wondering is Dumbledore is implying he legilimizes his assistant.

"By Cain?" Snape asks.

Dumbledore nods. Snape scoffs.

"Do you know much about him? Her father?" Dumbledore asks.

Snape shakes his head.

"No. He defected from the dark lord before I was even a student. People...talked, though. Said the dark lord found him and killed him in a way no one would have dreamt of. Evidently, the dark lord did not kill him."

Dumbledore drops his arms to his sides and paces in a small circle.

"Why did he leave? Could you ask Lucius?" Dumbledore presses.

Snape grips his hands at his sides.

"Ask- ! Him?! We need not bring her further into this, Albus. She didn't even know her father was a death eater until he was arrested!" Snape says, growing angry.