Chapter 3 - The Triwizard Cup

As you round the corner, you make note of the owl clock in the corridor off the great hall. The castle is bigger than you imagined and much more complex in build than Ilvermorny. As you were leaving your chambers in the dungeons, you were pointed in the direction of the Great Hall by a Hogwarts elf - Artie. He seemed nice enough, but was concerned with the room near yours, so you simply thanked him and went on your way. You sport a fitting, long sleeved emerald tunic with black booted wedges. You have your hair down, mainly because your temple and just above your right ear is slightly swollen still, leaving a nice little bump as a reminder that the ministry of magic thought you were the one who wrecked havoc during the quidditch world cup.

As you turn into the Great Hall, anxiety begins to swell in your chest. It's as you read - floating candles and an enchanted ceiling, accompanied by four long tables for each of the houses. It is quite beautiful and almost like you've just stepped into a completely different place. The professors are up at the high table, a few sitting while others stand on the other side of the table, mingling quietly. Dumbledore and McGonagall turn as they hear your boots tap the stone floors. You bite the inside of your cheek as they walk to meet you.

"Good evening, professor Reynolds." Dumbledore says warmly.

You politely smile at him, nodding. They walk with you back up to the high table. McGonagall clears her throat, getting the other professors attentions. McGonagall smiles small and gestures to you.

"Staff, this is Professor Y/N Reynolds. Will your please introduce yourselves to her?"

The professors nod eagerly, each of them taking turns to inform you of their names and postings. McGonagall inhales and begins to speak of you now.

"Professor Reynolds, upon a personal offer from Professor Dumbledore, agreed to-"

McGonagall ceases speaking as the door just to the left of the high table swings open and hits the stone wall of the great hall with a bang. You look around McGonagall, curious to who is coming in so abruptly. You see a glimpse of black, but that is all you allow yourself. You tuck back to the side of the head of Gryffindor house, looking down to the floor, feeling sweat begin to form on your forehead. You slowly raise your eyes as the potions master strides to the table and tucks into a chair near the center. He leans back, blinking once slowly. When he opens those dark eyes, eyes like an abyss, they're looking directly to yours. Hell, they're looking directly into your soul.

"Nice of you to join us, Severus." Dumbledore greets.

Snape raises his brows in response. Dumbledore strides forward to him, looking down through his half moon spectacles at the brooding wizard, then turns to face McGonagall and yourself.

"As I was saying - this is Professor Y/N Reynolds. Professor Dumbledore offered her a position here over the holiday to which she graciously has accepted. Professor, why don't you tell us a little about yourself?"

McGonagall steps to the side, gesturing to you, with a smile. Snape stares at you as you look at everyone slowly.

No, that's all that needs to be said - oh, gods, what am I to say? My mother forced me into pursing a teaching position when I was only twenty one because I was arrested for breaking broom laws? Yeah - great addition to staff.

Snape glances down from your eyes, smirking to himself, then shakes his head distastefully. You inhale through your nose, and despite your wishful thoughts, look up at each of them. You fold your hands together in front of you and nervously squeeze them.

"Good evening. Um. I really do not have much to tell about myself. I was the potions mistress at Ilvermorny in America - this year is my tenth year of education. My mother...passed away at the end of May, so I thought a change would be nice, so I accepted this position. During my sorting two decades ago, the Thunderbird and Wampus both chose me. And at Ilvermorny, if that happens to a student, you get to choose your house. I debated for a moment and decided to go to the house my mother was placed in. I ended up being a Thunderbird." You say, smiling small.