Invasion (II)

The mercenaries were advancing carefully, nervously. They would have felt more comfortable if their enemies were battling them, but none had appeared. Just a few faces at the windows, in the distance, that were watching them.

They feared a trap, so they moved slowly, while disabling the defenses one by one. The traps, or perhaps they should be called magical mines, were simply fired by the hounds. The long-range cannons had ceased to be effective once inside, reason why the Marabunta had been brought inside too.

Short-range guns were less powerful, so the mercenaries' joint defense could block them reliably, though not forever. Luckily, the arrival of the little magical beings distracted some of the fire.

It was surprising that they could advance unopposed, apart from some automatic defenses. It didn't take them long to reach the main gate, destroy the guards and attack the inner shield.

Gjaki was limited to watching, and controlling the Marabunta, some Bats, and a hound if necessary. The rest of the work was done by the mercenaries, after all, they were paid for something. Besides, they were the most interested in taking over the mansion.

Lulorha was in front. She hit hard the mana shield with her axe, and soon after, her victim was the door that had been protected by it. A few supported her, while the rest guarded the perimeter.

Shabeladag and his companions helped attack the shield, but it wasn't their battle, so they didn't take unnecessary risks.

It was when they walked through the door that they found a scene they didn't expect. About three dozen lesser vampires were standing there waiting for them. They weren't armed, nor did it seem that they were going to offer any resistance. Off to one side, the corpses of a dozen of them were laying. On the other side, there were servants and prisoners who had been released.

One of the vampires stepped forward.

"The count has fled, and destroyed the gate. He's abandoned us to our fate. Although we're bound to him, we aren't going to defend the mansion. You can kill us, but, please, they're innocent" he announced, as he pointed to the servants. They looked quite scared.

They were of different races, although most were similar to Brurol, with their characteristic blue skin. They looked at the newcomers with hope and fear. It wasn't difficult to hope for a better life, but they knew that they could also be killed.

The mercenary boss looked at the vampiress, undecided. She was used to dealing with refugees, but not to making those kinds of decisions. Furthermore, those vampires were servants of their enemies, and could be forced to act.

"What do you want to do with them?" she asked.

"Let me talk to them. Would you offer them a position if they were loyal?" the vampiress asked.

"Vampires can't help but be loyal to the old count, even if they don't want to. The rest would be fine. My people know how to fight, but not run a mansion, much less a county," Lulorha acknowledged.

"What if they were loyal to me?" Gjaki asked.

"Can you do that!?"

"If they want, I think so."

"Then it's fine. I trust you," she assured.

The mercenary's honesty was unexpected for the vampiress. She stared at her for a few seconds, while she was walking towards the servants who hadn't been converted. They could leave if they wanted, or stay to work there.

A smile appeared on her face unintentionally. Her declaration of loyalty had taken her by surprise, but she had also found it warming. After that, she headed towards the vampires.

With Cluasde's servants, it hadn't been necessary, since they had lost her mother. It wasn't the case here.

When they saw her approaching them, they felt curiosity, anxiety and fear. However, when they sensed her aura, some even knelt down. The vampires felt so overwhelmed that even the idea of ​​running away disappeared from their minds.

"If you want, I can change Fangorm's link for my own. You can stay here at the service of the new owners, they won't treat you badly. However, I won't forgive those who have been cruel," she offered them.

They looked at each other. There was relief in their eyes, even hope. The one who acted as spokesman was the same one who had spoken to them after entering.

"Anything would be better than serving Fangorm. We don't know you, but you're certainly better than him. Tell us what to do. We aren't saints, but we aren't monsters either. Those're there", he assured, as he pointed to the corpses.

They were vampires because they hadn't had a choice, but they hadn't wanted to. These vampires hated to perform some of the acts that the link forced them to do, and that the deceased performed with delight.

These deceased were also despots towards them, but they had had the count's protection. He had made them their superiors, thus causing verbal and physical abuse to be common. Therefore, when they had had the chance, they had gotten rid of them, no matter the consequences.

"Then, come closer, one by one. We'll do it in batches of three, every half hour or twenty minutes. You first," she decided.

She could go a bit faster, but Gjaki preferred not to consume all of her mana. With her full reserve, she could convert six, so with three it would be halved. However, it was only slightly slower initially. Afterwards, she had to rely on her mana regeneration, which didn't go faster for spending more.

The spokesman couldn't describe the feeling. It was like losing a part of himself that was intangible, and then getting it back stronger, brighter, much warmer. He knelt before her, tears in his eyes.

"My lady. This humble vampire named Vorklfdo is at your service," he declared.

Then, he felt some strong but not very big hands that grabbed his arms, without squeezing them too much, urging him to get up. He looked straight ahead, and met two deep red eyes.

There was much more power there than in his previous father's, but he didn't feel he should fear them. There was no hostility or disdain, rather empathy. He could feel that his new mother deserved all his loyalty.

"You don't need to kneel," she told them.

However, none listened to her words. After the Adoption, each one of them knelt, with tears in their eyes.

They were relieved to be rid of their previous father, and to escape death. At any time, he could have killed them through the link. However, he believed that they were dying in combat, not getting rid of him. Although the loss of their links was slightly peculiar, he couldn't even imagine what was really happening. Perhaps, he would never know.