Offering

At that time, Calta deeply regretted having disobeyed her parents. Terrified and with tears in her eyes, she was running desperately. She was trying to outrun her pursuers even when the girl knew it was impossible.

She was young and attractive. She had put on her new dress, and had wanted to go out and show it off, even putting on makeup. Calta hadn't wanted to heed their warnings. She believed that it couldn't happen to her. The girl now knew how wrong she had been.

When walking down the street after having run away from home, the count's agents had discovered her. After seeing her, they had decided to invite her to meet their lord.

They had ordered her to stop, but she had run away, scared. It was a totally irrational decision, since there was no way for her to escape from them. They were quickly gaining ground, and no one was going to help her. Nobody dared.

Suddenly, they grabbed her around the waist and covered her mouth. She believed that they had caught her, but the voice that spoke was different, young and feminine.

"Don't say anything, or they'll find out. Turn around, let me see you."

She obeyed, not knowing if that young woman was friend or foe. What surprised her the most was that the newcomer's appearance transformed into a face surprisingly similar to her own, the result of I am You. Maybe, it wouldn't fool her parents, but many would believe she was her.

"How am I? Am I like you enough?"

"Who're you? What do you want?" Calta asked, between astonished and scared.

"I want to take your place. Hmmm. I don't have similar clothes. You'll have to give me yours. Look, pick one of these to wear."

"You better not try to run away again. Now you're the count's property, but I can cut off a finger or two," a minor vampiress threatened, as she tied the girl's hands.

"No, no. I'll obey!" she assured, terrified.

"You better. If you make me run again, you'll regret it," another minor vampire scared her.

In reality, the woman who had fled was listening only a few meters away, hidden. She still had a hard time believing what had happened, nor did she understand why a complete stranger had wanted to take her place. Although she wasn't going to get involved either anymore.

It occurred to her that the woman might be the count's enemy, but she was fine with it. They all hated him, and now she hated him even more. What she was most worried about was how to explain her change of clothes to her parents. Perhaps, she was also a little worried about the safety of the stranger who had saved her, but she seemed very sure of herself. Calta wondered once more who she was, though she soon decided it was better not to know.

Gjaki had been following the lesser vampires, looking for an opportunity. She had planned to disguise and show herself. She was hoping that they would try to kidnap her, as she had heard in the stories of the village. The main problem was that she wasn't sure if it would work. Therefore, she had decided to study them for a while.

However, the appearance of the young woman had accelerated her plans. She not only wanted to save her, but to take the opportunity.

The vampires roughly bundled her into a cart, tied up. After that, they left. She was kept there, with guards watching outside.

She could have easily freed herself from the bonds. In fact, Gjaki had more than one way to do it. What she wasn't so sure about was being able to put the bindings back on without being noticed. Therefore, the vampiress just waited there, while guarding the surroundings with a couple of Bats that she had summoned earlier.

Costume and Disguise had been cast to go unnoticed, so she couldn't use too many scouts. She would run out of mana, and her identity would be exposed.

She made sure to simulate some tears with water and Telekinesis, since she wasn't able to force them on her own. Gjaki couldn't help but wonder how the actors were able to do it.

When her captors returned, she decided to pretend to be asleep. They let her be, because it was one less problem if she stayed still. Also, she was a gift to their lord. Even if they wanted to, they couldn't bite her, or use violence for no reason. They didn't know that she could kill them at any moment. That if they were alive, it was only because she needed them.

Although she was with her eyes closed, there was a Bat on the carriage, so she could see where they were going. It was evident how most people were hiding, that they were afraid. Even those who came to deliver taxes were scared, some more visibly than others.

They took several hours to arrive, so the vampiress assumed they knew she was faking it. However, if it was good for them, so was she. Any interaction with them posed a risk of being exposed.

The mansion was covered with a barrier, less powerful than that of Gjaki's mansion. It was enough to delay intruders and prepare defenses, but not enough to withstand a prolonged siege. No doubt, the best way to cross the barrier was through the main entrance, as she was doing.

The guards looked tired. At that time, she didn't give it any importance, much less did she think it was due to her. Specifically, because many had lost their lives in the siege, so they were a little short on staff.

She made no further pretense of sleeping when they stopped and made her get down. She only needed to look scared.

"You better be obedient, if you don't want to make the young master angry," the lesser vampiress warned her.

"Y-yes," she answered, stuttering.

Although inside she was somewhat worried. On the one hand, she was looking around to check that there weren't any enemies that she couldn't face. On the other hand, he didn't like the "young master" part. Apparently, she wasn't going to be taken to her target.

They went up several stairs, and walked several corridors, until they came to a door, at which they knocked. For almost five minutes, they waited, to Gjaki's surprise. She could tell that her two escorts were upset, but they held back.

"Enter," an artificially gravelly voice came from the inside.

They opened the door and entered. As soon as they did, she had a hard time maintaining her composure, and not attacking immediately.

There were several women there, some half-naked, some tied up, some with their skin bleeding from whipping, some bleeding from two fang marks. They were all still and visibly terrified, unable to disobey the level 54 vampire.

Surely, he wasn't her main target, but she wasn't about to let him go. Not after what she had just seen.

"Oh, you've brought me a new toy. I'll have them reward you. You can leave. You, come. I want to see you up close," he ordered.