In the river (I)

Gjaki struggled to stay afloat, to get to shore, to avoid the rocks in the river. She had swallowed more water than she wanted, and felt exhausted, as she had also expended a great deal of energy by Gliding.

The silver-haired vampire didn't know how long she could hold out, and it was frustrating that every time she believed she was close to the shore, the force of the water brought her back to the center of the river.

On one such occasion, she took out the whip and used Grab at some roots. However, she was going too fast and her hands were wet, so she was unable to hold on to it. The weapon slipped off.

She had managed to get a little closer and slow down, but she had lost her whip. However, she didn't give up. So, Gjaki pulled out the second whip, Grabbed it again at other roots, and held it desperately. While clenching her teeth, she used it to fight the force of the current.

This time, the roots broke, so she was swept away again. She didn't hesitate to use it again immediately, to Grab some bushes this time, to pull the whip until finally managing to reach the shore.

Shortly after, while she was still panting with exertion, a fairy appeared carrying the lost whip.

"Thank you," she said almost without thinking.

The fairy didn't reply. She simply disappeared, as Gjaki lay down under the moonlight, while catching her breath. She was bruised and tired, but she was alive.

Her legs ached as she walked along the river bank, under the cliff, while wondering how she was going to get out of there.

Unfortunately, the vampire had no blood left, nor did she have health potions. In the game, they didn't work on vampires, one more joke. After her experience with the Sacred Spring, she hoped it would be different now. As soon as she arrived at the beginner's village, the vampire intended to buy one to check it out.

She reached what looked like a small cave, which wasn't too deep. Nonetheless, it was the best she had found so far. It wouldn't be long until sunrise, and it seemed like a good place to put her castle-tent, since there was no sign of anything inhabiting it.

She sat on the shore and stared at the river, where she could see the silhouettes of some fishes that seemed oblivious to the force of the current.

"Maybe...?" Gjaki wondered.

She pulled out a fishing pole from the inventory. It wasn't considered a weapon but a tool, and she had only tried it a few times in the game, at an annual event that consisted of catching goldfish.

Fishing skills existed, but the vampire hadn't wanted to waste one of the limited slots for it. In fact, almost no player had done it. Only some vampires who were frustrated with the character. After creating another, or returning to a previous one, they had decided to try them with the then secondary character.

It required no bait, but rather to apply mana to the hook to attract the prey. The thread was strong enough to withstand the force of a level 100 fish, but the pole could be used by any player, regardless of the level. Of course, trying to get a level 100 fish out of the water with a much lower level could be as difficult as dangerous.

The process of inserting mana was as straightforward as in the game, although casting the hook into the river took her a few tries.

As part of the event, to catch the fish it was necessary to move the fishing rod to the beat of the fish. When it turned green, it needed to be pulled fast. It was something that in the game hadn't been excessively complicated.

However, the first fish escaped after a few seconds, thus forcing her to replenish the mana and re-cast the hook.

She tried a quick pull with the second, but it just fell off. Therefore, she had no choice but to try to follow the same process as in the game.

The third fish ran away again right away. The fourth took a little longer. The fifth a little less. It wasn't until the twelfth that the noob fisherwoman managed to catch a fish a little bigger than her hand.

Despite the size, she was thrilled. Not only was she beginning to master the technique, but she was able to extract blood from the level 6 fish. Rather, her fairy-nurse did.

The taste was better than the rat blood, although worse than the ones she had taken from inventory a few days ago. Besides, the amount wasn't even enough to finish healing the bumps and scratches. Nonetheless, she now knew where to get more. So, as a certain fairy was skillfully cutting the fish, she again infused the hook with mana and cast it into the water. Her skill wasn't great, but much better than the first time.

It is true that she failed a few more times, but soon the success rate reached 50%. It kept increasing as she learned how to use the fishing pole outside the game. Before stopping, she had managed to catch two in a row.

When it was almost time for the sunrise, she had already managed to catch eleven fishes. Some were the size of her arm, although most were smaller, and with levels between 6 and 8. With that, she had fully healed, and filled her blood pool almost until 20%.

In addition, she had managed to get several fillets of dark trout, a couple of fillets of abyss salmon, a few more from other species, various bones, and some fish oil. Unfortunately, she had no idea how to cook them. Without a microwave and a frozen pizza, Gjaki felt totally lost.

She thought about spending a while longer fishing, while protected by clothes and sunglasses. However, she decided to go to sleep, after eating a delicious demonic diplodocus burger with triceratops cheese. She also regretted that the food reserves made by Goldmi were dwindling. Specifically, only half of the chocolate cake was left.

This time, she settled on full body pajamas in a rabbit shape. She had also glanced at some nightgowns that had been designed by herself, but she had been somewhat embarrassed at the thought of wearing something so daring.

Maybe the clothes the vampire wore were a little tight, and she was proud of the body that she herself had designed with great care and thoroughness. However, at least her current clothes covered her body, they weren't transparent.