Welcome Home (16)

I exhaled slowly, I was almost there. When it clicked I felt a little tingling sensation all over my body that seemed to retreat to the top of my head. I opened my eyes to see Jack sitting across from me, “Did you do it?” He asked, “I don’t know,” I answered honestly.

Jack held out his hands and I looked at him with wide eyes, “No. I am not testing it on you, it’s too dangerous,” I refused but Jack sent me a look, “You have to take a chance Delaney. Do you trust yourself?” He asked, looking stern.

I searched his face, before raising my hand slowly. I made sure that the box was locked and secure before placing my bare fingers in his palm. I waited with baited breath as I search frantically for the familiar poisoned, black veins but they never came.

My eyes snapped up to Jack’s, a huge smile growing on my face. I launched forward and tackled Jack to the ground, hugging him tight. Jack laughed, “Careful, I’m not as young as I used to be,” He joked as I stood up.

I flexed my pale fingers and looked up at Jack again. I went to touch his bare arms and still nothing happened, “I did it,” I breathed, still not believing this was real.

“You did it,” Jack confirmed, “I feel like this is a dream,” I said.

Jack reached forward and pinched me on the arm, “Ow! What was that for?” I exclaimed, rubbing my arm, “You’re not dreaming,” Jack winked, I laughed.

Jagter was sitting under the shade of a tree nearby and perked up when I started walking towards her, “Jagter,” I called and Jagter trotted over beside me.

“I thought I would have to wear gloves my whole life. Never touching anyone, not being able to hold children, my children,” I confessed as we started to make our way back to camp.

Jack nodded, “I thought the same. I guess that’s what made us so determined to control our gift,” Jack said, I agreed.

Zahara was talking with some of the children of the camp and she looked up to me surprised, “Your back early,” She noted when we approached her.

She turned to the children and spoke to the in Afrikaans before they ran off happily. Zahara stood up from her crouched position, “Something wrong?” She asked.

“Not at all, everything is actually great,” I then told her what happened earlier.

Zahara smiled softly, “Congratulations Delaney, will you be heading home now?” She asked.

“Maybe tomorrow when I’m fully rested, as much as I want to go home now I think I need the rest,” I explained, “I will set up the ritual on the border tomorrow then.  I hope you will come to visit Sterk Een,” She told me and I nodded, “Of course I will!”

Jack slung an arm across my shoulders and ruffled my hair, “I’m so proud of you Lanes!” HE shouted gleefully. I struggled to get out of grip, “Stop messing up my hair,” I whined as I finally got out of his grip.

Jack laughed and shook his head, “Girls will be girls,” He teased; I grumbled back at him which only made him laugh more. A smile of my own appeared on my face, Jack had one of those laughs which were very contagious and besides, I was too happy to let anything get me down.

Jack spotted Nala and immediately walked forward to sneak up on her. I watched as Jack picked up Nala from behind and spun her around. Nala shrieked and started to curse at Jack but was soon silenced when he kissed her.

It was so nice to see them happy together. It made me think of Adrian which put heaviness on my heart and I just hoped he would forgive when I came back. I left Jack with Nala and entered my tent to see Jagter curled up in my bed.