Chapter 73

Chris pov...

I feel something in my hair going through it. I immediately am wide awake, and she looks back at me smiling... Well trying to... It is a smile but due to the state of her face it is not really a smile... It is hard to explain... But i take it because God, I missed her smile. "I am here baby..." She says her voice a little rough. "You're awake..." Is all I can say and I stand up and kiss her. She winces. "Sorry love..." I whisper, as I look into her beautiful eyes. Even if they are barely visible, they are beautiful. Even now they sparkle. "It's okay..." She says smiling while she cups my face with her hand a little groan escaping her as she must be in pain... She is in pain and i hate it, i wish i could all magically could take it away...  "I am gonna call the doctors, okay?" I whisper and she shakes her head and pulls on my arm. "Not yet..." She whispers. "Can i get some water?" She asks and i sigh... "Love, i really should call the doctor..." I whisper. She pouts at me as i get her some water. "Please..." She whispers and i watch cringing as she scoots to the side obviously in pain but ignoring it, tapping the bed. 

I am conflicted, i really should call a doctor but God i can't refuse her anything. I carefully lay down next to her and let her cuddle into me... "How are you feeling?" She asks me, taking me by surprise. "Love, i should ask you that..." I whisper. "Hmm... I am the one who laid comfortable in this bed. You're the one refusing to go home." She mumbles. I stay quiet not knowing what to say... Or how she even knows this... 

"How long have i been gone...?" She asks and i take a deep breath... "A week..." I whisper answering her. "Oh..." Is all she says and i can see her mind racing trying to make sense of it all. "Dont you wanna know about the baby?" I ask and she looks up at me and smiles. "I know the baby is okay... Strong and healthy." She whispers. I looked at her in surprise again. How did she know this?  "I heard you. Just couldn't respond as i wanted to..." She says in quiet tone of voice before cuddling into me again. 

"I really should get the doctor now..." I whisper but she holds me tight. "No doctors... Nobody else... Just you..." She hums and i can't help but smile. Of all the ways i thought this moment would go, this was not one of them. There is a knock on the door, and a nurse walks in and Vi groans... "Look who is awake..." She says smiling. "Nope... I am not awake..." She groans as she holds on to me a little tighter. "I will let the doctor know you are awake..." The nurse says... "No doctor..." She says again and the nurse looks confused. The nurse looks at me and i shrug my shoulders... I dont know why she is so insisted on not having us call in the doctor... "I am afraid i have to call in a doctor, i am sorry." The nurse says and Vi groans. "Fine..." She sighs and the nurse leaves. 

A few minutes later the doctor walks in. I get off the bed so he can check her over. She winces as he feels her face and i look at her worried. She grabs my hand. "It will heal... Dont worry." She whispers. She then looks at her finger... The doctor sees this and reassures her that her finger will be fine, they got to it in time. She lets out a sigh of relief as if that was the worst thing that had been done to her. I still am a bit puzzled at her reaction to everything. She is so calm... As if nothing is fazing her... "You will be wearing these again soon." I whisper as i pull her rings out of my pocket. 

But to my surprise she takes them from me and puts them on the other hand. She looks at them and smiles letting out a deep sigh... It makes me smile, at least she wants to wear them again. instead of throwing them in my face as one of the scenarios in my head had played out. The doctor does all sorts of tests and asks all sorts of questions. He tells her the baby is okay and that makes her smile even though she already knew. He asks her what she remembers from what happened, but she dodges the question not wanting to answer that... He thinks she doesn't hear him, so he asks her again... I can see Vi is getting annoyed... "I heard you... I just choose to not answer that..." She says and the doctor looks a bit taken aback... I smile at the fact she is feeling good enough to give them grief. The doctor smiles at her as if he is thinking the same. 

After the doctor is done, he leaves. But not before telling her to get some rest, to which she responds with an eye roll. "Can you lay with me?" She whispers and i smile crawling back into the bed. "I am sorry..." She whispers. "What are you sorry for, love?" I whisper confused... I should be the one saying sorry... I did not protect her like i had promised... "That you had to go through this..." She mumbles. I sit up and look at her. 

"Never apologize for what that asshole did, okay... I should be the one to apologize... I failed... I failed to protect you..." I said looking at her serious my tone a little bit intense. She looks at me and i can see tears starting to fill her eyes. "I am sorry love. I didn't mean to scare you, but you have nothing to apologize for. " I whisper and she takes a deep breath... "Neither have you..." She whispers and she wants to wipe away her tears hurting herself in the process... "Easy..." I mumble and she sighs... "I am tired..." She mumbles...

I lay back down, and she cuddles into me.  "Can't help it... Hearing you cry and not being able to react... I think it was worse torture than being stuck in that place..." She says and i sigh... "It's okay love, you're awake and you're gonna be okay... That is all i wanted.  Now go to sleep... But dont you dare roll your eyes at me like you did the doctor." I say smirking... 

She giggles and i sigh. "I missed to hear you giggle..." I whisper. "Better get used to it, Mr. Evans... I am not going anywhere." She mumbles sounding half asleep already. I smile when as soon as she closes her eyes, she is asleep. I pull out my phone and text everyone that she is awake... I make it clear that she is resting for now. That visitors have to be in moderation but that she is okay and already rolling her eyes at the doctor. Responses flood in and i smile.  Vi has no idea how many people are happy she is awake again. I keep checking on her scared she won't wake up again, but she keeps moving cuddling into me and that makes me smile. The fact that i have her in my arms again and that she will be okay is the best feeling in the world... I know that we are not there yet and that she probably has a long road ahead of her, but she will be okay. She is alive and so is the baby. Our strong little miracle, i dont know what Vi would have done if she had lost this baby to, due to the asshole's actions. 

I wonder how much she has heard seeing as she caught me off guard with a few things. It must be terrifying hearing everything but not being able to respond. I sigh and kiss the top of her head not being able to sleep as i am scared it is all a dream. Scared that at any moment i will wake up and i am sitting in the chair again. Vi unconscious in the bed again. I sigh and look down Vi scrunching her nose in her sleep her face still bruised and so are her arms and legs the only part of her body she protected with everything she got was her stomach... To save our baby. She was in pain i knew she was. I noticed even though she tried to hide it and yet she was more worried about me... About how i was feeling.  I wished i could take away everything, to make it like it never happened but i couldn't. All i could do was be here. I sigh as i can feel my eyes getting heavy and soon i am asleep.