Chapter 8

Vi pov...

The drive is quiet, i look outside trying really hard to control my body as Chris keeps rubbing circles with his thumb over my hand. "You, okay?" Chris asks as he pulls into a parking lot. "Yeah..." I say giving him a small smile. 

He squeezes my hand and opens his door walking around and opening mine holding out his hand to help me out. He leads me inside his hand on the small of my back again, sending shivers down my body the butterflies in my stomach once again out of control.  He talks to the hostess and we were brought to our table all the way in the back away from prying eyes. 

Chris held out my chair for me to sit down before siting opposite me. "Can i get you anything to drink?" We are being asked... "I'll have a beer..."  Chris says and then he looks at me. "White wine... Sauvignon if you have it, please." I say smiling at the hostess. She nods, and leaves. 

We fall in a comfortable conversation and the waitress brings us our drinks and a menu for us to go over. "Anything you recommend?" I ask Chris and he smiles. "Everything is good..." He says smiling. I decide on pasta and Chris orders the same. "So, tell me... Why a pet store?" He says and i smile... "I was not smart enough to be a vet..." I say smirking and he chuckles... "Yeah somehow i dont believe that..." He answers and i blush... "Smooth Evans... Really smooth..." I whisper and he grins proudly... I giggle... "I love animals and taking pictures so when i had to decide what to do with my life, i put them together." I say and he smiles...

We talked about his career, why he wanted to be an actor and how he got started. I smiled as he talked about it with such passion. Dinner is brought and while we ate, we kept talking about everything and nothing. He was so easy to talk to, charming... He is giving you the idea he was really listening. I loved how he talked about his family. It was evident how close they all were, not that i didn't already knew that from the stories Scott had told me. 

We finish dinner and the waitress asks if we want some desert. I ask for a dessert menu to look over and she comes quickly back with one. Chris and i order dessert, and while we wait, he grabs my hand on the table playing with my fingers. "Chris?? Vi??" We hear a voice say Chris releases my hand immediately sitting back in his chair. Like he is a kid getting caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Chris goes white as a sheet as if all the blood has drained from his face... He looks horrified... 

I turn back and see Scott standing behind us with a big smirk on his face. "Would you look at that..." Scott says smirking. "Omg! is this a date?!" Scott asks his smirk getting bigger... "No!" Chris says quickly and i look at him in shock. It feels like he has stabbed me... The tone of his 'No' like it was the most ridiculous thing to suggest. I know he never answered when i said it was a date then... But i just assumed because he kissed me... God... How could i be so stupid. 

"Just dinner as friends..." He continued to say, digging in the knife deeper. "You wanted us to get along, so i thought to take her out to dinner... You know to apologize again and thank her for the photos of Dodger." He says and i softly scoffed shaking my head closing my eyes. 

Again, i know he had not confirmed this was a date... But to just dismiss me like this, ignoring the fact that he kissed me... How he had held my hand in the car and not even a second ago... It hurt my stomach now not filled with butterflies but with bile. It made me angry not particular at him but at myself for letting him in. I was disgusted with myself for letting him get close to me for letting me feel the way i feel. 

I pulled out my phone and discreetly ordered an Uber without them noticing because they were still talking. I just needed to get out of here... Put on your game face... Dont show him it hurt... Just cut your losses and move on... "I just remember, i have to go..." I say quickly standing up. 

"I am sorry something came up, Scott you can have my dessert." I say trying my best to keep my voice steady and to not sound to hurt... I throw some money on the table. "Uh okay..." Scott says looking at me confused. "Evans thanks for dinner..." I say looking at him with a cold stare. He looks at me and for a moment i see regret in his face but i dont care i need to get out of here.

 "Vi... I should drive you back home, we came here together..." He says looking at me, his eyes pleading me to stay. "I ordered an Uber... I can get myself home..." I say with no emotion in my voice i didn't want him to see me break. I did what i do best... Turning my emotions off... I went into survival mode... "Besides you and Scott can catch up over dessert... Scott nice to see you again..." I say forcing a smile kissing his cheek. 

I nod at Chris and walk out the restaurant to the waiting Uber. I look behind me, part of me hoped he would come after me, but he didn't. I scoffed of course not, i think to myself. Just imagine that Scott would find out he would date a regular girl, let alone me. It was never a date i scolded myself. I get in the Uber give my address and the driver pulls out making way to my house. 

Chris pov. 

I look in shock as i see Scott standing there and in a panic i pull my hand back. I can see the smirk on his face. "Is this a date?" He says and then without thinking.... I answer... "No!" I say quickly i make up an excuse to explain why we are here. 

But when i look at Vi, i see her expression change and my heart sinks. Shit, i think to myself. She scoffs softly. Scott doesn't notice and she shakes her head. I see her pull out her phone and i slightly panic again, but Scott keeps talking to me, distracting me. I want to tell him, but i can't find the words. All of a sudden Vi stands up. 

"Sorry, something came up..." She says the expression on her face cold... The sweet soft and warm, woman is gone... Her face shows no emotion... It is like day and night... It is like she has turned her emotions off... "Scott you can have my dessert..." She says and puts some money on the table. Yep, this is definitely not good... This date is over... I fucked up... I fucked up bad...

She looks at me her expression cold emotionless. "Evans thanks for dinner..." She says her tone cold as ice slicing through me. "I should take you home, we came together." I say in an attempt to make her stay. "I called an Uber... I can get myself home. You and Scott can catch up over dessert." She says before she kisses Scott on his cheek giving him a smile. I can see it is not a real smile the only thing i see on her face is hurt. She tries to hide it but i can see i fucked up... 

Scott smiles back at her saying goodbye. She nods at me and walks out of the restaurant. I want to go after her, but our dessert is brought to the table.  Scott sits down and starts talking, digging into the dessert Vi really was exited for. Not 15 minutes ago i was admiring the women who was exited for her dessert and now... Now i was sitting opposite my brother who was oblivious to what just really happened, stuffing his face with tiramisu...