Special Chapter: A case that sparked the beginning

Two people were walking down the streets of Miyako, a city in an eastern country named "Yamato." While they might look like a normal blonde girl and a tall black-haired man, those two had an unusual profession.

They were detectives.

The blonde girl was Amelia Watson, an ex-doctor. She was found one day by an old man who became her mentor. Even though she no longer practiced medicine, her intellect was still used in her new profession.

Meanwhile, the black-haired man was Shellin Burgundy. He was Amelia's senior student and her rival. When Amelia showed her skills, he became her rival since he knew that she could become an amazing detective. Shellin might have more experience than her but he didn't want to take it easy because he knew that Amelia would catch up to him if he ever did.

"Why are we heading to the Sakasaki manor?" Amelia asked.

"Ranpo found this little box and he deduced that it belonged to them. He also said it must be important so they would be thrilled to have it back as soon as possible. That's why we're here while Ranpo is dealing with another case", Shellin answered.

They then arrived in front of a large house. Amelia could sense an anti-magic barrier surrounding the entire area and that was a sign of prestige and cautiousness.

"Who are the Sakasakis?" Amelia asked.

"Myohito Sakasaki is an accomplished Mind Mage. He has made several contributions already and has many research projects funded by big-name sponsors. His wife, Rina Sakasaki, is also a Mind Mage equal to him and their partnership has brought significant advancements", Shellin said.

A scream echoed and the two of them immediately dashed inside.

"SOMEONE CALL THE SAMURAI REGIMENT! PROFESSOR SAKASAKI DIED!" a man's voice shouted.

Amelia and Shellin arrived and saw four people standing in front of an opened door. From their surprised faces, they knew that it was trouble.

A young woman covered her mouth while looking at the room in horror. A middle-aged woman just stared blankly while a man was standing. There was another person there and his face was paler than a ghost.

"F...Father? M...Mother?" the young man whimpered.

He was about to enter the room but Shellin grabbed his shoulder and stopped him from making a step.

"Don't take a step inside. This is a crime scene so if you want justice, don't make any unnecessary moves", Shellin told him.

Amelia entered the room and put on gloves. She touched the green-haired man and the silver-haired woman who were hunched over on a table.

"No good... They are already gone", she shook her head.

"N...No way", the green-haired young man knelt down.

"Cause of death?" Shellin asked after approaching her.

"Judging from their purple lips, it's an Asenia overdose. Most likely a concentrated one too."

Shellin looked at the cups on the table and took out a bottle. After spraying on them, a purple glowing light appeared on the lids and insides.

"I see. So the drinks were spiked with Asenia", he muttered.

They looked around the room and it was completely messy. Papers, books, folders, and envelopes were scattered around the floor. The table the dead bodies were hunched on was clean except for the cups which were lying down before Shellin picked them up.

Amelia walked towards the door and saw that the door frame was damaged. She then picked up a hair clip and a plastic bag before walking back to the woman with short silver hair.