Chapter 5: The white illusion under the night sky

It was a night with a full moon. The stars were shining brightly overhead. And in front of us was the famous phantom thief, Spade Echo.

She had pink hair and mint-colored eyes. Her white dress fluttered in the evening breeze. Spade Echo was a petite girl and looked harmless.

"Good evening. What are you two doing in such an empty place?" she asked while smiling.

Good. It seems that she didn't notice that we were a knight and detective pair.

"This is a good spot for lovers to hang out, don't you think? Hey Mikage. Do it already", Amelia lied as naturally as she breathed.

Oh yeah. Our plan was to launch fireworks when Spade Echo arrives. Flying over the Westa Exhibition Hall were Floaters. Floaters were vehicles that could fly. They look similar to an alien's disc-shaped spaceship. They were a mix of magic and science like the technology used in satellites.

If we launch the firework and grab an attention of a Floater, Spade Echo would have a hard time getting away by flying. From previous cases, she used a wing-shaped artifact that allowed her to fly.

I lit the rocket's fuse and it launched in the sky. It exploded in flower-like sparks.

"Wow! Seeing it close sure is wonderful!" Amelia exclaimed.

One of the Floaters hovering above the exhibition hall was coming closer towards us.

"Oooh! A Floater! Looks like they've seen us!" Amelia was waving at the approaching vehicle.

"You're lying. You're not a couple. Who are you?" Spade Echo asked.

With the floater coming nearer, she would have a hard time escaping.

"Amelia Watson, a detective", Amelia introduced herself.

"So you decoded my message. Congratulations. I had a hard time making it so it feels nice that someone got it", Spade Echo clapped her hands.

"Shouldn't you be worried, Spade Echo? If you don't run fast, the Floater would get here", Amelia grinned.

Spade Echo looked like a small girl so I could probably overpower her. The moment she turns around and starts making a run for it, whether flying away or heading to the door, I would tackle her and pin her to the ground. Now then, Spade Echo.... Hurry up and get ready to run.

But what she did next was completely outside of our expectations.

She brought out a small rectangular device called a Communicator. Communicators were like radios that could send out messages to those who were tuned in to its frequency.

Spade Echo cleared her throat and then Captain Noel's voice came out, "This is Noel. I have sighted Spade Echo on the rooftop of Westa Monument Tower. Attention all units patrolling nearby and all Floaters: Go to the scene swiftly and stop Spade Echo."

"She changed her voice? Is that magic?!" I asked in surprise.

"No. It's purely her skill. What are you planning?!" Amelia shouted.

Spade Echo cleared her throat once more and...

"It is I, Reagan. To all knights in patrol nearby Westa Monument Tower, Spade Echo is on the rooftop. All knights converge on the roof", Reagan's voice came out of her mouth.

Impossible. She could also mimic a man's voice?!

"Are you satisfied now, Miss Detective?" Spade Echo smiled.

A spotlight shone on her from one of the 3 Floaters flying directly above us. Then, the door busted open with Temma, Captain Noel, Captain Reagan, and other knights arriving on the scene. The empty rooftop became crowded with knights as they surrounded the phantom thief.