Chapter 21: 1,2,3 and X.

It was supposed to be a regular day. I was just doing paperwork while Temma and Captain Noel were relaxing. Then, someone knocked on the door.

"Hey there!" Amelia entered the room without even waiting for our response.

"Amelia. What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Well... I'm bored since there are no noteworthy cases coming up. So I'm here to ask you guys if you've got something for me", she said.

"There's nothing here. Westa is fortunately peaceful for now", Temma told her.

"Well... If you want to help, maybe you can solve the serial murder case from 20 years ago", Captain Noel said.

"It's a cold case already... But I'll gladly hear any details about it", Amelia replied.

"The case is about 3 victims. The first victim was a 30-year old doctor named Borres Kae. He was found dead in his home with the number 1 carved on his back. The second victim was a 38-year old teacher named Muriem Ast. He was also found dead in his home with the number 2 carved on his back. The last victim was a shopkeeper named Niel Sierra. Like the two other victims, he was found dead in his home and had the number 3 carved on his back", Captain Noel narrated the case.

"Hmmm... If they were all murdered in their homes, there's a chance that the murderer was an acquaintance", Amelia said.

"But according to Arthur's investigation, they don't have anything in common", Temma told her.

"Oh yeah. Arthur provoked the criminal last night... I wonder if the criminal would take the bait", I said.

"One clue we have about the murderer is that he was humming an old song. This detail wasn't released to the public", Captain Noel added.

"Old song?" Amelia asked.

"Yeah. When the murderer attacked the second victim, Muriem's son was in the house. He said that he heard the murderer humming a song. It went like this", Captain Noel started humming.

"Ah! That song! What's it's title?" a voice behind us asked.

Coco was standing at the doorway.

"I think it's called the Raven's Night. Why did you ask?" Captain Noel asked her.

"You see, I got locked out of your home and didn't have any keys. That's why I decided to go here to borrow yours. But on the way, I heard a man in a mask humming that familiar song. It sort of stuck inside my head", she answered.

"Wait... Coco, are you sure you heard it correctly?" Captain Noel asked and her face was getting paler.

"What's wrong?" Temma asked.

"Arthur is my neighbor. And a strange man was humming the song that the murderer once hummed."

Oh no...

We ran towards Arthur's house. If it was actually the murderer, then Arthur was in danger. Did he perhaps respond to the provocation?

The door to his house was open and Captain Noel entered without knocking.

"Arthur? Are you okay?!" she shouted.

We arrived at his room and saw the lifeless body of a man. It was none other than Arthur. His body was bloody and he had an "X"-shaped wound on his back.

"An X? I thought it would be a 4", Amelia said.

She then got close to the body and moved his hand. There was a "-" symbol written with his blood.

"What do you think this means?" Temma asked.

"I don't know. It must be a dying message since he hid it with his hand to avoid the murderer from seeing it", she answered.