Chapter 44: Clash of two swordsmen.

I was in my waiting room. There were drinks and snacks and there was a comfortable couch. A television was at the center of the room and was broadcasting the current fight.

"Now then, it's time for the first fight!" the referee shouted and the crowd cheered.

"Representing Kira, the S-class adventurer, Suzaku Yakushiji!"

"And facing off against him is AZKi's champion, the Dark Knight, Temma Kishido!"

Temma and Suzaku looked at each other.

"I'll be sure to defeat you this time, Temma", Suzaku said.

"Let's see you try", Temma replied.

There was a special barrier placed in the arena. Their voices could be heard by the people in the audience and the people watching TV.

"Let your blades dance and magic go wild! The first round of the Idol Fan Tournament... Start!"

The distance between Temma and Suzaku was closed in one second. Suzaku's katana clashed with Temma's sword. The sheer force of their strikes caused sparks to fly from their swords.

"Mind's Eye! Enhancement: Arms! Enhancement: Legs!" Temma shouted and a blue aura wrapped around his body.

He managed to push Suzaku back and he backed away. However, Suzaku closed the distance again and unleashed a barrage of slashes. Temma managed to block them successfully but he couldn't find an opening to attack.

"I wonder... Why does Temma shout out his magic's name?" I asked.

My sword glowed and turned into a small girl.

"It helps in forming an image", Anya answered.

"Forming an image?"

"You know that one of the requirements of magic is an image. By giving it a name, you can easily associate it with an image."

Maybe I should try it... But shouting out the names of my moves sounds weird. What should I even call my shadow manipulation magic?

"Suzaku is strong. Temma is in trouble", Anya said after watching for a while.

"What makes you say that?" I asked.

"Mind's Eye allows you to see the trails of the future movements of your enemies. It's a very powerful spell that only a few mages could use. Once you activate it, you could easily dodge or even parry your opponents attacks. But take a look at what Temma is doing."

Temma blocked another strike from Suzaku.

"We know how skilled Temma is in combat but if all he could do is block against Suzaku's attacks, that speaks a lot on how skilled his enemy is", Anya said.

Even if he could predict Suzaku's next attack, all he could do was block?

"What's wrong? All you're doing is blocking my attack. Is your heart not in this fight?" Suzaku asked.

"... And thus the mist came. Creating something from nothing and turning something into nothing. Bewildering the enemy and making me untouchable. Let it be known, the Mist of Deceit!" Temma finished chanting.

A huge magic circle appeared and covered the entire stage. Despite being a clear day, mist covered the battlefield. It was just a light mist so everyone could still see the battlefield. However...

There were 5 blond men on the field and they all looked like Temma.

"Amazing... He managed to chant while blocking his enemy's attack. Not to mention, it's the Mist of Deceit", Anya said.