Chapter 27: Encounter

"Thanks for the meal, peko", the blue-haired girl said after eating.

Amelia and I found her lying on the ground. She looked so pitiful that we agreed to buy her a meal. That was why we were in a restaurant.

"Thanks for helping me out, peko. I thought I would be a goner", she said.

"You're welcome. What happened to you anyway? Judging from your clothes, you're not a homeless person. Did you get robbed?" Amelia asked.

"This is embarrassing but I blew all of my money in gambling, peko. The stall said that I could win a really cool prize so I spent all of my money trying to get it, peko", she answered.

"You spent all of your money in gambling? That's a stupid move", I couldn't help but tell her that.

"It's been some time since I last got outside so I got a bit carried away, peko. Anyways, what's your name?" she asked.

"His name is Mikage Kamishiro. I'm Amelia Watson. What's yours?" Amelia introduced us.

"Hmmm... You can call me Pekora Usada. Yep... That's a good name, peko", she replied.

Good name? Was she using an alias or something?

"So... What brought you here to Pekoland, peko?" Pekora asked.

"We're actually looking for the Hall of Memories", Amelia answered.

"Why would you need the Primordial Memory, peko?"

"This guy lost his memories. That's why we are looking for it. We're hoping it would help restore what he lost."

"You lost your memories? Pain peko."

"Yeah... One thing led to another and I lost them. That's why we're trying to solve the riddle and find the Hall of Memories", I said.

"What's the riddle, peko?"

"North of the land of the rabbit people

The valley of the red river

Pass through the black sandstorm

Head towards the blue cave

The Hall of Memories will be ahead of it", Amelia recited the riddle.

Pekora thought for a while.

"Land of the rabbit people definitely talks about Pekoland... And the valley of the red river probably meant Krev Valley, peko", she said.

"Krev Valley? It's true that it's north of Pekoland but why do you think it's the valley we're looking for?"Amelia asked.

"More than a thousand years ago, Krev Valley was a place where two great armies fought. They said that the none of the two armies surrendered so they ultimately killed each other, peko. The fight had so many casualties that the blue river turned red for many days because of all the blood. It's a pretty famous story here in Pekoland, peko", Pekora answered.

"I see... Thanks for the information", Amelia said.

The red river could mean the story where the river got filled with blood. That made sense.

Amelia looked at the map and asked, "What about the "pass through the black sandstorm"? What could it mean?"

"I don't know... But I think the Peafowl Kingdom could have an idea about it, peko. After all, the Krev Valley is near it", Pekora answered.

"So we don't need to head to Pekorias. We have to head to Krev Valley", I said.

"Say, can I come with you, peko?" Pekora asked.