Chapter 88: The Demon Realm

I walked through the barren wasteland while the stars shone above. It was annoying how during the day, the wasteland was uncomfortably hot but during the night, it was unbearably cold.

Three days have already passed since I woke up in the Demon Realm and I didn't find anyone else except for Crystal Beasts. All I did was fight and walk for the entire day.

"This really is the Demon Realm. It's very fitting to call it like that since the land is downright demonic", I muttered.

Crystal Beasts are everywhere and are attacking us on sight. There must be something wrong, Anya said.

What do you mean? Aren't Crystal Beasts hostile? I asked.

Yes. But they only attack if they are hungry or provoked.

Mikage knows the answer, Noir said.

I do?

Yep. Surely you felt that energy inside them, right? he asked.

Ah.

I see. Didn't Captain Magus say that the energy is turning people into aggressive beasts? Anya asked.

Yeah. It even turned Coco into a rampaging dragon. So the Crystal Beasts were also affected. What is the Unkindness planning?

I would like to ask the locals for information but we haven't reached a town yet, she said.

There are towns here? Noir and I asked.

Yes. The Demon Realm is a country filled with demons, onis, and other creatures. Yoclesh and Oga were born here. And like any other country, there are cities and towns, Anya answered.

No wonder I can feel a large concentration of darkness in a certain direction, Noir said.

...

Wait. What do you mean by that? I asked.

Oh? You can't feel it? I can sense the shadows of many creatures in that direction, Noir's semi-transparent form appeared in front of me and pointed to the left.

You can sense it all this time and you didn't tell me?! I asked.

Did you even ask? Besides, I thought that they were probably Crystal Beasts so I just ignored them. Also, you can sense them too, you know? My powers are your powers.

What Noir said made me decide to test things out. I closed my eyes and tried to feel the darkness of the night. Aside from the concentration of energy in the south, I felt what Noir was feeling.

And I almost threw up after collapsing to the ground.

Gahahaha! You actually tried it?! What kind of a careless idiot are you?! Noir laughed.

"Mikage! What's wrong?!" Anya transformed into her human form and worriedly shook me.

It's nothing special. He just got overwhelmed by the sheer number of darknesses he felt. Judging from his reaction, he felt all of the shadows here in the Demon Realm, Noir explained.

"All of the shadows in the Demon Realm?! That's more than hundreds of thousands!"

Actually... It's hundreds of millions if we count non-living things. Besides, he's lucky he only felt the shadows in the Demon Realm. He would have it worse if he felt all of the shadows in the world. And his human brain would explode if he accidentally felt all of the shadows in this universe.

Despite the massive headache and nauseating feeling inside me, I managed to listen to their conversation. After a while, I calmed down and shakily stood up.