Chapter 28: Raiding a bandit hideout

We left Pekoria and traveled north with Krev Valley as our goal. When traveling on foot, it was recommended to stay on roads. It was because monsters avoid roads since they were enchanted to ward them off. Although the strength of the magic in the roads vary from place to place, it was still good to at least know that there would be less encounters with monsters.

The only problem with traveling on roads was that there was a higher chance of encountering bandits. Pekoland may be a peaceful country but bandits lurk everywhere. They target small groups of travelers and rob them of their money and/or life.

Pekora led the way while we followed her. It was normal since she was a resident of Pekoland so she knew the way.

Our only lead is you, the person he summoned in this world, the bandaged man's words echoed in my head.

He said that my summoner, Shiroe, was in charge of their organization's greatest ambition. Then why in the world was I summoned? Judging from what the bandaged man said, I was definitely not their "greatest ambition." If I was, then they would have taken me already.

Mikage... You okay? Anya's voice appeared in my mind.

Yeah... Just having some thoughts... Having no memories is hard, I replied.

Are you worried that you might not be human and might be something else?

I don't really know much about myself since I lost my memories...

It's true that you are a weird existence. I once told you about the weird thing inside your soul. It became stronger ever since you lost control of yourself that night.

Inside me?

Yeah. There's a strange energy inside you. I have seen it somewhere before but I just can't remember where.

Night arrived and we decided to camp out. Pekora tended to the fire and was cooking some meat. Somehow, I felt weird thinking about rabbit people eating meat.

I saw Amelia scribbling on a piece of paper and approached her.

"Are you still trying to solve the riddle?" I asked.

"No... This is different. I'm trying to decode Arthur's documents", she answered.

"Who's Arthur?"

"Oh yeah... You lost your memories... Basically, he's a member of the Unkindness and we investigated his murder together. Anyways, we found a safe that was locked with magic. Before we left Westa, the knights unlocked it and gave me a copy of what was inside."

"And did you manage to decode it?"

"Sort of... It uses a really old method of encryption. Although there were some parts that turned out to be weird characters."

"Weird characters?"

"Like they look like runes but I don't know any runes that look like them"

"Can I see them?"

"Knock yourself out", she gave me her notes.

Basically, the documents talked about the Unkindness. How their leaders had bandages wrapped around their bodies and how their goal was to summon the Primordial Dark and control it. Arthur Karalis was actually a spy of the knights and was already deep in the organization before he got murdered.

The one in charge of finding a way to summon the Primordial Dark was a man named Shiroe. He disappeared while taking most of his research materials. The only thing left in his lab was a coded message.