Chapter 4: Preparation for an illusion

"How many times have I already told you? I can help with the investigation!" a blonde woman was arguing with a knight.

"Civilians are not allowed in this high-risk area", the knight argued.

We arrived at the scene to see a girl in a brown coat and hat arguing with one of the knights. Her description matches with what I've read.

"Ah! You two must be the knights in charge! Let me help you catch the thief!" the woman said.

"And you are?" Captain Reagan asked.

"Amelia Watson, a detective. For a phantom thief like this, you need a detective to catch her", she grinned.

"Captain Noel. She could help us out", I vouched for her.

"Are you sure, Mikage?" she asked.

"She's the real deal", I nodded.

"Have you heard of me?" Amelia asked.

"Yeah. You've been pretty active in the 13th unit's area. There were reports from our knights that you've been helping them catch robbers and find missing items for the past month."

"Really? How come I've never heard of her?" Captain Noel asked.

"It's because you don't do your job of reading the reports. Her name keeps on appearing on the knight's reports as a great help for the investigations."

"So are you saying we should trust her?" Captain Reagan asked.

"In my opinion, we need all the help we can get. Heck, even me, who's just an administrative officer, is here. We're in no position to reject a helping hand", I answered.

He thought for a while.

"Okay then. Amelia Watson, you're in. Mikage, you keep an eye on her since you're the one who vouched for her", Captain Reagan said.

"Alright! So what do we know about her?" Amelia asked.

"She is a phantom thief who relies on magicless tricks to steal her target. She sent us a message declaring that she will steal the White Star", Captain Noel said and showed her a piece of paper.

"Hmmm... Artix Grace! When the moon divides two people, under the name of White Star, pushed by the waves, I will arrive. -Spade Echo", Amelia had a serious face.

"From what we've decoded, she will definitely strike on Artix 1, the day of Artix Grace. We don't understand the rest of the code", Captain Reagan said.

"Hey. What's Artix Grace?" I whispered to Temma.

"Artix is the god of entertainment and mischief. Artix Grace is a day where people would joke around and do harmless pranks on each other. It happens every first day of Artix", Temma answered.

So it was like April Fools huh? It's kinda weird how some holidays in my world reached this world. For example, they have Snowfall, an event that happens on Deus 25 where people give gifts to each other and also have Day of Love, a Valentine's Day-like event on Ferrus 14.

"Hmmmm...." Amelia was staring at the paper real hard, "What are your plans until Artix 1?"

"We're going to tighten the security of this hall until Spade Echo appears. But it is bothersome that we don't know what her message meant", Captain Noel said.

"I'm going to take a look around, is that okay?" Amelia asked.

"As long as Mikage accompanies you, you can go anywhere", Captain Reagan said.

"Well then, let's go!"

I followed her around as she walked all over the place. Sometimes she would take a look at the coded message and rub her chin then she would continue walking around.