« Sunoo »

➷。˚⸙͎۪۫⋆

It was hard for Sunoo to keep his left eye open, let alone stand with pride keeping him up. Not that he had one at all.

He placed his hand on his eye, from where the perfect brother used his fist to reward him with a bruise.

The blood kept swirling down his palm as he jumped out of the window to make a great escape. Of course he landed unpleasantly, but it didn't hurt anymore.

Sunoo headed to his bicycle and gave his life trying not to make a sound as he finally leaves, keeping the gate open.

The first wind of fall caught his wounded face, caressing the tears that made it harder for him to see clearly.

He hated that he had to cry. He was supposed to be used to living a miserable life, but the tears somehow forced their way out after a very long time of being bottled up inside.

That night, there was nothing he could ever ask for more except for being gladly welcomed by the arms of his good-for-nothing father. At least that's what their mother always called him since they parted ways.

It was even harder to think of something else except for the time before he found himself pedaling towards another neighborhood, that time brother went home after finding out he was faking his grades. Well that, and lying about the graduation.

No words have ever been spoken after that. There was only a single strike, sending him helpless against the wall. Sunoo tried to fight back, he swore. But even after all the moments he had tried making them proud, and failing in the process, he realized he was  just a stupid little boy.

"You're starting to be like Papa." Those were the first and last words brother had spoken.

As he finally arrived at his father's house, he took the time to wipe his tears with the sleeves of his hoodie. Before going for the door, he tried peeking through the window.

Though the curtain was down, he managed to hear father and his lover's conversation and realized he didn't want to be part of his burden.

So he forgot about knocking on the door and went somewhere else.

And that 'somewhere else' was further away and lonelier. But it didn't matter now as it didn't matter for him to leave everyone in his home for good.

Yet the lights ahead of him were drawing closer, blinding him. His heart was racing along with what was approaching. It wasn't something big but it wasn't something small either. It was something familiar.

Before they could collide, Sunoo desperately rushed to the side of the road, falling from his bike, realizing he was afraid to die after all.

The car immediately stopped  and someone came out to collect him. "Sunoo!" She called worriedly, placing his arm around her shoulder.

He raised his head only to see his ex- girlfriend, y/n.

They got inside the car where y/n looked after the wounds on the corner of his mouth and left eye, as if she forgot about parting ways with him.

"What happened?" She asked, wiping the blood but Sunoo said nothing in reply  and just rested his face beneath her palm.

It was terribly humiliating  for Sunoo to cross paths with her again with his current situation. He looked at her and saw she was sad, too.

"Do you want to go to the police station or hospital, at least?" Y/n asked but Sunoo shook his head.

"Sunoo, I'm serious—"

"Cold." He said weakly. " I need something cold."

Arriving at the convenience store, y/n decided to buy some cans of beer. And with some cans of beer, they headed somewhere farther than far, somewhere high, somewhere they could overlook the mean streets, somewhere they used to love going: the hill.

"Never thought we could meet again." Y/n started off as they sat on the truck bed.

Sunoo bit a booze and placed the can of beer on his temple to stop his head from hammering. "Must be fun to see me like this." He replied.

Y/n scoffed, letting out a downward smile. "You're still a runaway kid."

Sunoo nodded. "And you're still the one that catches me in the middle of the road." He replied, earning her soft laugh.

"Except that I can't bring you back to your home this time." She said.

"Not that I expect you to."

"We used to go here everytime we sneak out of our rooms in the middle of the night."

"I remember it too well."

"I was so afraid that we'll get caught, but before I even knew it, you were always just outside the gate, already waiting for me."

"As I should, y/nnie."

"It felt like a gentle sin."

"I could still remember how cold those nights were, and how it made me happy when we lied on the road while it was raining."

Y/n laughed as cheerfully as she once did, reminiscing the unforgettable. They stayed like that for what seemed like an eternity and never thought about going home.

"It's good to see you again, Ddeonu."