The Past

The next day, being a Sunday, everyone woke up a little late. Sana took charge of making breakfast, Jaspreet enjoyed her morning coffee, and Sonali busied herself with dusting while listening to music.

Sana suddenly remembered something, "Guys, I forgot to tell you... Aaj shaam main Sidharth ke saath bahar jaa rahi hoon."

Jaspreet exclaimed, "What??? Awwwwwwwwsooooooommmmmm..."

Sonali asked, "Kya baat hai.... Yeh kab decide kia?"

Sana explained, "Kal ... when he dropped me.... I will tell him about my past today..."

Sonali expressed concern, "Sana, are you sure?"

Sana reassured, "Haan yaar... hum dono ke liye behtar yahi hoga... Abhi batati hoon toh usko move on karne mein asani hogi as we are not so deeply connected."

Sonali, annoyed, questioned, "Usko asani hogi?? What about you, Sana? We know how much he means to you..." Sana didn't respond; she smiled meekly.

In the evening, Sana got ready, and Sid reached on time.

Sonali: "Sana, ek aur baar soch le..."

Sana just smiled and left. Jaspreet and Sonali sat there, visibly worried.

Sid asked, "So, do you have any favorite place? Or shall I take you to my favorite place?"

Sana replied, "Kahin bhi chalthe hain jahan bheed na ho. I need to tell you something about myself."

Sid noticed that Sana was keeping a serious expression. He understood that she had something important to discuss. Sid and Sana decided to go to a beautiful open-air café, taking a corner table and ordering two lattes.

Sid, concerned, asked, "Kya hua Shehnaaz? Is something bothering you?"

Sana: Sidharth... main jo baat thumhe batane wali hoon who sunnke I don't know how u will react... Sab sunne ke baad U can decide if u still want to be friends with me or not.

Sid: Dara kyun rahi hai yaar??? Am getting worried now...Jaldi bol na kya baat hai...

Sana took a deep breath and started...

Sana: Sidharth I have a very bad past. I have to tell you about it as I know you like me more than a friend. Pehle meri poori baat sunlena and then decide ki tumhe meri friendship bhi chahiye ya nahi.

She continued, "When I was 8 years old, my mom and dad had to go out of town to attend a wedding, and they left me at my dad's friend's home. He was my dad's close friend, and he always used to come home. He used to pamper me a lot, so I was happy that I would be staying at his place. Little did I know that my life was about to get ruined.

That night. he took me to a dark room and tried to touch me inappropriately. When I tried to run, he locked me up in the room and raped me. What does an 8-year-old know about rape? Ithna zaroor samajh mein aagayatha ki jo kuch bhi ho raha hai bohot hi galat ho raha hai...

Before letting me out of the room he threatned me. Bola ki agar maine iske bare main kisi ko bhi bataya tho woh mere parents ko maar dalega. Main bohot zyada dar gayi and I never said anything to anyone. After that every day as long as I was there in his house, he molested me and raped me whenever he got a chance.

Tears filled Sana's eyes as she narrated her painful past, her grip on the tablecloth tightening. Sid, in utter shock, struggled to find words to respond.

Sana continued "Ghar pahunch ke I wanted to tell my mom everything but was scared if he would hurt my parents. Whenever he came home, main Sonali ya Jaspreet ke ghar bhag jati thi.... They also were scared to tell anyone thinking he would kill my parents. Most of the times I would succeed in running away but whenever he got a chance, he would blackmail me and violate me. It went on for almost 5 years...

One day when he blackmailed me and asked me to go with him, I hid a knife in my pocket and when he tried to touch me, I stabbed him and ran away. I was arrested. When the whole story came to the police he too got arrested but got released soon. I was in Juvenile prison for 6 months.

Many relatives in my family blamed me for everything, and I tarnished their family's reputation... When I returned, I was sent away to a hostel. Since that day, my father has never spoken to me, severing all ties. However, my mom and brother remain close, and we communicate over the phone. Yet, going back home is not an option for me. I am grateful that Sonali's and Jaspreet's parents provide strong support. They love and care for me as if I were their own daughter and take care of both me and my education now.

I've always felt that all men, except for my brother, are bad. I don't know why, but for the first time, I felt safe being with you, Sidharth. I apologize if I gave you any hopes and unintentionally broke your heart. It was never my intention. I felt a connection with you... an emotional attachment...

My past would definitely come up some day and main yeh nahi chahti thi ke tab tak tum mujhse kuch zyada hi attached ho jao. I didn't want to hide this dark side from you. Zyada kareeb aane ke baad batathi tho tumhe bohot thaklif hoti. I don't want you to be in pain because of me. Waise bhi yeh sab sunke koi bhi mujhse dosti nahi rakhna chahega."

Clearly, she was in a great deal of pain, with tears continuously streaming down her face. This revelation proved to be overwhelming for Sid. He had never anticipated the depth of sadness concealed within her. The weight of the situation left him feeling sad but too numb to offer a reaction.

Sana continued, "Sidharth, I know this is too much for you to take in. If you don't want to be friends with me, I can understand. I can manage rejection. Jiske apne baap ne use reject kar diya ho, usko kisi ke bhi rejection se dar nahi lagega..." She smiled sarcastically, her eyes teary.

Sidharth found himself at a loss for words. The drive back home remained quiet. He dropped Sana at her flat and waited until she reached her balcony. Sana went to the balcony to check if he was still there. Once he saw her in the balcony he drove away without any reaction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My heart goes out to all those little girls and boys who get sexually harassed and molested. I feel there should be death penalty for such crimes.

What do you say? What is your take on the people who blame victims for it?

Do let me know how you liked this part.