Unexpected Trails

The whiskey was the amber that had brought resolve to his inebriated soul. With the alcohol in his system, Anirudh Roy Chowdhury felt his rational senses go into standby mode letting his primitive self put on its party shoes for a moment. Had it been any normal day, his own impulsive behaviour would have dragged him down the alley of embarassment, making him go into a self criticism mode, but that particular morning was different. It is said that when the higher brain is incapacitated there is a degree of being drunk, and this can happen through alcohol, fear or tiredness. Barrister Roy Chowdhury felt all these at the same time... the fear to lose his wife's confidence, pushing her further away from him, and his tired thoughts made his possessive soul cling to the idea of avenging her insult.
Anirudh wanted to make Bondita understand the importance of faith in their relationship, and he himself was prepared to teach her the same first-hand. But at the same time, his mind nudged him continually to stand up to the humiliation that she had to face because of Candice's vile intentions. And, somehow that very thought of righting the wrongs had guided his intoxicated steps that morning to the gate of his old friend, Paul Davidson.

It was past nine in the morning when Anirudh had finally returned back to the Great Eastern Hotel. Post leaving the police banglow, he had gone to their old mansion in central Calcutta to supervise the renovation work.
'How long can one stay in a hotel with family!'
He had repeatedly blurted the question to the masons with his characteristics smile, urging them to expedite the process... all under the influence of alcohol. He had felt hungry too, and the freshly fried singara from Gobindo's roadside stall looked mouthwatering. But when he sat down to eat them, the first grub reminded him of Bondita's tear-strained face.

"Gobindo da, pack these please... My wife loves singara!" He had grinned awkwardly.

The usual clamour of guests, at the reception of the Great Eastern Hotel, checking in and out, was a little moderate that morning. Anirudh entered the lobby and was greeted by the manager cordially.

"Sir, madam booked a phaeton car this morning... I've added it to the tab."

Anirudh narrowed his eyes at the information.
"Phaeton car? To where? And when did she leave?"
He asked, and the manager bowed down a little and went behind the reception desk to check his blue entry register.

"About an hour ago Sir, the place... um... Hindu College."

The frown on Anirudh's forehead was at once replaced by an expression of some sudden revelation.
"Monday! Damn! It's her examination day!"
He almost gasped out loud, as with large steps he walked towards the suite they had occupied.
Two attendants were busy with the room service inside, and as he entered, one of them smiled courteously at him, handing him a small chit from the bedside table.

Anirudh's face fell at the sight.
Just one line. No prelude no undersign, but just a line.

'Going to college. Exam starts today', it said.

Human emotions are perfect the strangest intangibles on earth. The man who had spent an entire night submerged in alcohol, self battling with how cruelly his wife had rebuked his love and devotion, and how she should learn to respect his sense of undisputed loyalty, now suddenly felt powerless and eager with just one single sentenced note. Bondita had gone to the college, after a considerable amount of break, to write her first examination, and yet he wasn't there beside her to support her morally!
Wasn't her education the most important thing in his life?
Didn't all start from his immovable zeal to educate her in the first place?

Anirudh let out a sharp sigh and handed a green paper currency to one of the attendants, tipping him for the service, and as the man closed the door behind him, Anirudh stretched himself straight on the sofa and closed his eyes, contemplating his next course of action.