Love Conundrum

Rudhita's incessant loud shrieks and wails woke Anirudh up with a throbbing head and a burning body.

12 o clock, his tired eyes skimmed the small table clock once before he dragged himself out of the bed.

It was almost midday, and he was still sleeping.
"Bondita..." he called out, standing at the door, as memories of the previous night felt like a distant nightmare to him.

The baby's ceaseless brawling had filled up the ambience of the house with a heavy discomfort, as he saw his uncle approaching him in a haste, patting the crying baby in his shoulder.

"Kaka..." Anirudh spoke in a languid voice.
"Why is she crying so much? Where is Bondita?"

Trilochan was making awkward chuckling sound in futile attempts to calm the baby.
"She left for college", he patted the baby on her back, "without making breakfast or cooking anything."

Anirudh sighed.
"She must have been in a hurry Kaka... We both know how many classes she has missed because of me."

Trilochan frowned at his words.
"Isn't it obvious for any woman to take care of their ailing husband's before anything else in this world?" his tone was marked with clear displeasure.

"Why Kaka? There is no hard and fast rule for that... Plus I'm recovering now... And she needs to write her examination."

Trilochan huffed, "I can see the recovery Anirudh." He looked away. "Look son, it's useless arguing with you, but what I'm trying to say is it's her duty to take care of the household, just not her husband, but what if I fall sick tomorrow... Would she not take care of me? Or this baby? Or Batuk?"

His expectations were pretty clear, and although Anirudh felt his head pounding with a nagging pain, he couldn't help blurting out a few words before pressing his forehead on the wooden door frame.

"Kaka... Why such expectations from women only? Why can't Batuk or I take care of the household too? Why is it that if women go out it's considered that they aren't justifying their household responsibilities? This is our house too, and we are equally responsible."

Trilochan wanted to refute his nephew, he wanted to remind him how he had taken care of his wife when she had fallen sick in the past, obsessing on her and oblivious to the entire world, then when would it be unfair to expect the same from her now? But instead, he chose to be silent.

Anirudh's last few words were a mere whisper and Trilochan sighed at his condition.
"Anirudh, let's go and sit inside."

After a glass of milk, some fruits and a few dosages of pills, Anirudh started to feel a little better.
Rudhi had quietened a bit in her father's arms, her incessant cries were now interspersed, and everytime she would pout her lips for a renewed round, Anirudh would held her close to his chest speaking mothereses, and his kisses on her reddened face would calm her down for the moment.
"Mamam..maa.. maam!" She would shriek out loud and Anirudh would hum soft lullabies into her ears.

"Any idea when Bahu would be back?"
Trilochan was pacing up and down inside the room, his hands held together at the back.

"She should be back anytime." Anirudh spared a tired glance at the table clock.

"I've to go out Anirudh, it's a little important, but I can't just leave you alone at this condition."
His narrowed eyes were examining Anirudh pale stubbled face.

Anirudh smiled.
"Don't worry about me... I'm fine... You carry on."

Trilochan had reluctantly agreed to go out, the long awaited meeting with the village welfare department under the British government can't be postponed, and despite his half-heartedness, he knew how important it was for him to go. Tulsipur required a hospital, and a post office of it's own, and Trilochan was prepared to spare even his last resources to get those done this year.