Reflections in thy Eyes

The glass hurricane lamps were rolling aimlessly, yet in a rhythm, on the tarpaulin covered ground. The chains of floral decoration were beside them, trodden, smashed!
The un-holy flame of the wedding pyre wasn't burning anymore, and beside the square yajna pit on the high alter, sat Anirudh Roy Chowdhury, cradling his semi-conscious wife in his arms.

"Anirudh Da... Here..."
Kush was standing behind him, offering him a jug of water, and Anirudh took it at once. Cupping his palm, he splashed some on Bondita's face, and she opened her eyes, smiling at him innocently.

"I'm alright, Barrister Babu, just my head is heavy." Bondita tried to sit up, looking around her, "where is she?"

Anirudh too looked around, searching for Raimoti, and Kush interjected.
"SatyaGauri Di? Umm... I saw her running out." He paused, hesitating for a minute.
"She picked up a log from here, and ran out."

"Alone?"
Anirudh narrowed his eyes.

"Yes... At the sound of the gunfire..."

Bondita sat up with Anirudh's support, and their anticipating worried gaze met at once.

"Do you think she might have..."
Bondita murmured the words, gasping at her own thoughts, and Anirudh's jaw clenched at once.

"We'll have to look for her, Barrister Babu, now."
Bondita pulled the remaining of the white thermocol crest from her head and  grabbed Anirudh's arm for support.

"Anirudh Da..." Kush hesitated.
"Dada, I had no clue that my Jetha was getting married to a minor... I... I was told otherwise."
Kush swallowed in embarrassment, as Anirudh nodded his head, his eyes trailing a little afar where the half drunk Bharat Chattujjee was hunching on the ground, and infront of him was Ram Chattujjee, his wife compressing a cold poultice on his forehead, crying.

"This was wrong in so many ways Kush... I'm glad you atleast understand it's gravity." 
Kush was nodding his head silently, and Anirudh stood up, helping Bondita to rise on her feet along with him.

"Anirudh Da... SatyaGauri Di gave... "
Kush was murmuring, but his words were vehemently interjected by a gruff male voice.

"Who the hell do you think you are? Do you have any idea what blunder you have just commited? Do you have any damn idea!"
Headman Jogen Mullick had been frantically apologising to the panicking guests with his hands folded in a plea when his eyes fell on the woman seated at the alter in another man's arms, dressed as the bride... and the woman was definitely not his daughter!

"I do mister... A very fair idea of what menace was getting executed here!"
Anirudh had stood infront of Bondita, forming a barrier between her and the charging man.

"Who are you again?" Jogen Mullick was furious, and his hand had formed a fist, raising it at Anirudh, but his advances were promptly restricted by Kush.

"He is Barrister Anirudh Roy Chowdhury, very famous... He is the one who made laws against child marriage."
Kush muttered the words in a breath, binding Jogen Mullick's hands behind him, grabbing him in the strong hold of his youthful agile arms.

"O!! The culprit himself!!" Jogen Mullick barked out the words, trying to free himself and Kush tightened his grip around him further.

"Don't speak to him like that!" The boy hissed, raising his voice, as he turned towards his own parents.
"I'm so... so ashamed today Baba... What were you going to do? Marry Jethu with a eleven year old? Are you out of your mind!" He paused, and exhaled sharply, realising a much calmer Jogen Mullick from his grip.
"And, Maa... Look what have you done... To Barrister babu's wife..." He huffed the words as his mother started to sob with a renewed vigour.
"This is how you planned to quieten that little girl? Opium?" He nodded his head sideways vehemently and blurted out again.
"Today, I've to say this... I'm ashamed to be your son! I'm ashamed to be born in this family!"