His Warrior Queen

Bondita's was born in April, and her report card days would always sync in and around that time, and after Anirudh had gotten her admitted in school along with his brother, her birthdays had turned out to be a little extra special. This was her second birthday after wedding, and it was the day when the school had planned to announce promotions, as usual.

"Barrister babu? I hope you still remember your promise?" The ten years old girl was standing in her school uniform, a plane white saree with dark blue border, her hair braided on both sides neatly with matching blue ribbons, and she stood there with her hands on her slender waist, awaiting a response from her busy husband.

"Today is?"
Anirudh didn't lift his eyes, instead he stretched his left arm towards her, inviting her to come closer.

Bondita walked inside the study.
"My report card day, Barrister Babu, Uffo! Don't tell me you have forgotten again?"

Anirudh pressed his eyes shut for a moment, probably gathering his thoughts, before he looked at her, smiling.
"So my Bondita is bringing another medal home?" He had kept the papers back on the table, and now extended both his arms towards her.
Bondita loved it when he would call her 'his'. Without any inhibitions she simply inched closer, surrendering into his loving embrace happily.

"I don't know Barrister Babu, I had written my exams well, now let's see..."
Her head was resting on his shoulder, as she wrapped her tiny arms around his neck. Anirudh too, was holding her fondly.

"Shri Krishna once said that we all should focus on our Karma, rather than pinning for it's fruits."

Bondita nodded slowly, and clutched his shirt tighter.
"In Gita... I know... KakaSasurji taught us."

"Excellent." Anirudh smiled, his hands were patting her head tenderly now.
"So, don't worry, if you have given your one hundred percent, then there's nothing to be scared of."

"Barrister Babu, it's my..." Bondita fumbled once, making Anirudh frown and then smile.

"I know it's your report card day Shona... And all the best. I'll come to pick both of you up." He let go of her and she slowly walked towards the door, her head hanging low.

It's my birthday, Barrister Babu!
She wanted to say it aloud, but alas! She couldn't.

"Where is Batuk?"

"In his room, crying."

........................................

The day at school was full of excitement, first the report card distribution, and then the ranking announcement, Batuk and Bondita had clasped each other's hands in a firm grip, as if drawing the much needed family support to overcome the adrenaline rush of the day. Bondita could almost hear Batuk's pounding heartbeat.

"Relax Batuk, take deep breaths."

Batuk's face was contorted, as if almost about to cry, he squeezed Bondita's hand tighter and murmured nervously.
"God knows Bondita, my history was pathetic, I had confused between Ashoka and Akbar, and I wrote everything that Ashoka did under Akbar's administration."

Bondita gulped at his words in genuine concern.
"How many pages did you write?"

"Five."

"Let's just pray Jagannath Sir didn't read the entire thing."

Batuk nodded at her assurance.
"Dada would kill me if I flunk... He'll send me to a boarding..."