Resented Attraction

Batakrishna Roy Chowdhury blinked twice, and upon opening his eyes the second time, it hit hers, an impact so strong that it threw him off-balance, completely. It was like a bright morning sun after years of lifeless nights, it was like feeling the rhythm of heartbeat for the first time, it was as if nothing existed... nothing... except those large dreamy eyes looking back at him.
The world suddenly seemed warmer, brighter and more welcoming.
The eyelashes were fluttering in a poetry...
The curled locks of her dark traces had fallen on her face, entrapping his soul in it's dark bewitching spiral, her sharp nose had a silver septum ring, dangling on her philtrum, the cupid's bow of her upper lip quivering in a rhyme, matching the rhythmic sway of the septum ring, in a perfect poetry... Her mouth was slightly parted, showing a little of her perfectly shaped white teeth, and her plum lower lip moved a little, as if inviting him to fill her soul with the endless ministrations of his own lips, more than his mind had envisioned within that miniscule moment of time.

Batuk gulped at the sight.
It wasn't normal, it wasn't natural to feel this way, but he couldn't help the thoughts... The earnest urge of touching her made his muscles stiffen in a longing ache.

The angel was smiling at him, not a smile, but an eager happiness that had made her eyes glisten with emotion, it was as if she was expecting this moment, she was expecting him... his welcome, his embrace... his warmth!
It didn't matter what she wore, he didn't pay any attention to it as well, but the miniscule detailing of her face had his heart, and...
Gosh! She was beautiful!
Not the kind of alluring, bewitching beauty that Raimoti possessed, not the phlegmatic all encompassing beauty that Bondita was adorned with... But, the beauty of this young woman was different, it was primitive, it was unpretentious, it was earthy! It was the kind of beauty that demands compassion, calmness, the kind of beauty that calls for home!

The thoughts made him gulp again, and the moment felt real... She was indeed inching closer, her every step felt like a sensuous hammer in his chest... she was nearing him with every passing second, bridging the gap between them with every step taken, and he too wanted her in his arms, her face on his chest, so that he could make her hear the music of his newfound heartbeat!

Batuk smiled back too, but before he could inch forward and make her his, he felt a slight discord.
Not just slight, but the discord was massive, it's tremors were like a devastating earthquake, quaking the entire poetic universe that he had built around him.
The lady did approach forward, but not towards him, but to the one standing behind him, and before he could fathom the occurance of the situation, he saw her stooping down to touch his sister-in-law's feet.

"Didi! I..."
Her voice felt like a honey dripped delicacy to his starved soul, still wondering who she might be.

"I... I need to see him."

Batuk saw with widened eyes as Bondita pulled her up, drawing her close in an embrace, and Batuk's gaze narrowed upon seeing the frowning girl standing behind his 'angel of destruction'.

"You are that man... aren't you?"
The girl was frowning sharply at him, making him feel a little uneasy, given the surge of unrealistic rush of adrenaline that he had just experienced.

"I'm a man, yes..." He tried to smile, "you have to be more precise than that."

"The rude man from the telephone, Barrister Dada's brother."
The girl rolled her eyes at him, making him widened his eyes in disbelief.

"You are....?"

"Bhargavi, yes." The girl folded her hands to her chest and looked at him proudly.
"I told you I'd find you."

It felt like a shattered mirror, an abrupt awakening from a beautiful dream, a broken string of a tanpura...
And, Batuk felt even worse, as if life had slapped him hard with the cruelest of all jokes.
He breathed out and turned towards the woman held in Bondita's arms.