Heat of the Moment 🔥

Mira had the loose end of her new Jamdani saree pressed to her mouth, her eyes widened in perturbation at the sight she had just witnessed, and with rapid steps she had sprinted up the stairs, running through the corridor to reach the guest room.

"Mira... Ei Mira... Why are you running like that... Miraa?"
Koeli's voice had stopped her on the way, as the middle aged woman hurried towards her and touched her shoulder gently.

"And why are you even out of your room sweetheart... Don't you know we aren't supposed to be out during an auspicious occasion?"
Koeli touched Mira's veiled head tenderly, making her turn towards her, her eyes still casted down with jets of tears threatening to pour down any moment now.

"Arey Poramukhi meye, why tears?" Koeli pressed her lips and smiled, "it's good news... ChotoBabu is getting married... Finally" She handed her a plate of Sandesh, as her free hands cupped Mira's face in a motherly affection.
"Take this... And run inside the room... And don't come out till they're gone... I'm resigning to the backyard servant quarters too... Kamali, Foolur Maa and I, we all widows would be there together... You too can come and join us."

Koeli was smiling, since Dehradun she had developed a liking for this soft-spoken sweet girl, unfortunate like herself.

"I... I won't come out Mashi."

"Yes, and Maa Dugga is there, else god knows which widow witch had blackmagic-d the boy."

"What?" Mira looked up, and Koeli rolled her eyes at her in disbelief.

"Kamali heard it with her own ears, Zamindar Babu screaming at him... Apparently, ChotoBabu has fallen for some witch...What a disaster!!"
She huffed the words and held Mira's shoulder.
"Once, Bondita Bahu returns, I'll tell her to arrange for a Satyanarayan Puja... Maa Dugga shall save us all!"
Koeli muttered a prayer on her own and turned to leave, and the girl behind.

Mira murmured something inaudibly, her eyes casted down, fat tears rolling from them, as very slowly she clutched the plate in her hand and walked back inside the guest room, her staggered steps were thoughtful, as if counting every moment.

"Didi? Did you see him? Did you speak to him?"
Bhargavi was seated on the bed, as before, as she got up at once, her restless words shot at her like piercing arrows.

"What's there to speak Bhaggu..." Mira walked inside slowly, and took a turn around the bed, reaching up the shelf behind it, as very slowly she placed the plate on it, beside where her ektaras were kept.
"See what I have... Sweets! for Choto Zamindar Babu's marriage...!"
Mira hadn't turned to face Bhargavi, but the crack in her voice was enough to make the girl feel what her Mira Didi was going through.

"Didi!!"
Bhargavi's voice quivered in emotions too, and Mira let out a dry chuckle.

"No Bhaggu, don't be sad... This is the farthest I can get to... Sweets!" She sniffed back a tear and tried to smile, still facing her back to the girl, and Bhargavi gulped a tear and spoke up.

"But, you can't give up!"

"Give up? You can only give up when you own it in the first place... I own nothing Bhaggu... I've nothing!"

Bhargavi was about to object, but then her eyes fell at the door, and there he was... Choto Zamindar Babu, standing like a demented soul, his face strained with agony, and his eyes fixated on Mira with a fevered earnestness.
Bhargavi got down from the bed, without making a noise, and Batuk shared a glance at her, gesturing her to leave them alone.

"I've stopped hoping for happiness a long time ago Bhaggu, and it's time you too should give up dreaming about my happiness... I'm not meant for all these... I'm not meant for..."