Reminiscence of Longing

"Come, eat something Bondita... Else you'd continue to throw up like this."
Satya had kept a plate on the single cot infront of Bondita as she sat with her knees hurled up to her chest.

"I've been throwing up since the last few days."
She murmured, sniffing back, as he sighed at her words.

"I've noticed. It's the stress, and you're absolutely not eating... But now you'll have to eat, big day for you tomorrow."

"Yes, I've everything planned and in place. You just be ready Satya, everything depends on your timing."
Bondita swallowed hard, her throat dry, and she wiped the strains of agony from her face with her palm.

"Right... so I get up from the mandap once the red flag chain falls down... And then we run?"
Satya's face was buried into a bunch of letters, as Bondita rolled her eyes at him.

"No Satya, we won't run!" She stressed on her words.
"The plan is simple. Jhinuk would do all the rituals quietly, till her time to reach the wedding mandap, only that she won't reach the mandap and would escape with her mother through the backyard, and while going, her mother would cut the decorative flag chain hanging across the mandap, so that we would know the plan is successful... Understood?"
Her voice, although feeble, had a determination, and Satya kept aside the bunch of letters and telegrams that he'd been reading and looked at her quizzically.

"Umm... A little confusing with a hundred loopholes, but yes, I understood."

"What loopholes?"
Bondita frowned and Satya sighed, inching closer, as he too sat on the cot at her feet.

"Let's see... First, where would Jhinuk and her mother go at that hour? Next, what happens to the groom? And, last, what happens after this? How do you plan to face the crowd?"

Bondita was listening patiently, as a familiar feeling of nausea took over her, making her retch, and Satya held a glass of water already kept beside the food plate, making her drink from it.

"Alright, let's see... First point, Jhinuk's maternal uncle would be awaiting them at the old school building, and from there they'd board a cart and leave for Dhaka, along with Putul, the youngest one." She paused to breathe and drink some more from the glass, licking her rapidly drying lips.
"And, you would have to take care of the groom, try to reason with him, if not, use your ways, and take his place instead... And once we see the signal, we'll reveal ourselves at the mandap, bunking the wedding."

Satya gaped at her.
"That's your plan? And then what? The entire village versus us... They'll beat us to death!"

"No... How would they, if you're armed with your pistol already!" Bondita winked, and Satya frowned in displeasure.

"And what if someone informs at the local police Chowki? Remember, this is Mymensing!"

Bondita exhaled and looked away.
"That could be a concern, but if we are fast and prompt then this can be averted too." She murmured thoughtfully, and Satya narrowed her eyes at her.
"This is important Satya, it's a question of a child's life... Please." She pleaded and Satya exhaled sharply.

"I'll do it. But know this Bondita, if police gets involved, then you won't find me around, then I won't know you, and you won't know me... As the punishment of just being my associate could put you to a lifetime imprisonment or worse, Kalapani!"

Satya got up and Bondita pushed the plate aside, brooding on his words.
"I understand Satya!"

Bondita was lying down on the cot, her eyes closed, and the food remained untouched on the floor. The temporary curtain drawn on the discussion had made them more thoughtful, as the duo drifted off to their mind palace, lost in their own concerns.