New Perspectives

The manager had handed four keys to Raimoti, and Anirudh had calculated in his mind the tariff of the rooms.

"Let's take two, alright?" He had suggested, "one for us and one for the girls."

And although the others had agreed to his suggestion, Raimoti groaned and pouted.
"Three rooms atleast." She jingled her diamond bangles infront of Anirudh and winked.
"Besides, I hate sharing bathroom with so many people."

Bondita had smiled at her words, as she placed her hand on her husband's hand to express her agreement with the girl infront.

"Alright." Anirudh smiled.
Not every woman would be as accomodating as his wife, and he doesn't expect them to be as well.

The sleeping arrangements were made, and it goes thus: Anirudh and Batuk in one room, Rai, Bondita in the other, and Mira and Bhargavi would sleep in the third.
Rishit was to catch his train that night, and hence wouldn't spend the night in the city, and as for the day, he would be in the same room as the men.
And, as for Satya, Anirudh knew that when he comes, he should decide for himself.

The afternoon meal was sumptuous, and all retired to their respective rooms for a siesta with some minor modifications.

Instead of Batuk, Bondita had accompanied Anirudh to one room, as they both sank in the soft bed, fast asleep in each other's arms.

Mira and Bhargavi were in the second room, Mira lying down quietly and Bhargavi exploring the exquisite newness of the hotel decor.
Rishit had gone out for a walk, as it was against his mountainous health regime to sleep after a meal, and Raimoti had gladly occupied his room.
And, that left Batuk alone, and he roamed outside the room where Bhargavi and Mira lay.

A sense of guilt was eating him from inside, and he wished to make amends with his own self, rather than carrying on with the baggage, exactly as his sister-in-law had advised.

"Choto Zamindar Babu, are you here to apologise?"
Bhargavi's words had made him turn around, as he saw the girl standing against the half closed door.

"She doesn't know I'm talking to you." She lowered her voice. "Walk with me."

Batuk nodded his head and complied to the young girl's suggestion at once. He wished to apologise, let go off the heaviness weighing on his heart, and for that he would even listen to this grave looking young girl who had tried to put sense in him earlier that day.

"Would she be annoyed if you talk to me?" He asked her softly, walking beside her along the beautiful sprawling verandah.

"No, she'd be hurt." She sighed. "she's worried that you might hurt me too."

"Why would I?" Batuk's voice was suddenly restless, as this accusation sounded hurtful to his own ears.

"We don't know you Choto Zamindar Babu, it's what we have seen." Bhargavi spoke again. "And, it wasn't a welcoming sight."

Batuk swallowed and lowered his head.
"I'm... I'm really ashamed. I've never disrespected any woman in my life."

"But, your action spoke otherwise." Bhargavi stopped and looked straight at him.
"Why do you hate her so much?"

"I don't hate her!" Batuk objected. "I just don't like her, probably."

Bhargavi sighed at his words.
"You sound honest atleast." Her eyes were lowered once again.
"You don't have to like her, but don't disrespect her either... It hurts when men..." the girl sighed without completing her sentence.

"When men?"

"Nothing... You know what Mira didi was telling me?"

"What?"

"That she's tired of men hurting her, and touching her against her will... And, you did it this morning."

Batuk suddenly was at a loss of words.
"How do I... " He gulped in hesitation.
"How do I make it up to her?"

Bhargavi had already turned around, heading towards the room alloted to them.
"Give it time, Choto Zamindar Babu, time heals everything... And, may be, in between... You can be the one you claim."

Batuk stood rooted with a gaped expression as he saw the girl opening the door slowly.

"Bhargavi..." He called out.
"How old are you?"

"Why?"

"Well your words... They are so..."

"Age had nothing to do with wisdom." She smiled.
"Swamiji said."

Batuk smiled brightly at the girl, as she disappeared behind the door, leaving him alone in the open.

"I'll try to be the man I believe I'm Mira." He murmured.
"Sorry."

............................................................

It was around eight in the night when Rishit Sinha left for the railway station. Batuk was resting in Anirudh's room, as the couple enjoyed tea by the balcony overlooking a beautiful pool with clear blue water. There were women in long gowns, strolling near the pool, and Bondita kept her head on her husband's shoulder and sighed deeply.

"Once all these is over, you'll bring me here... And we'll go to that pool together."

"To bathe?"
Anirudh smirked, and his wife rolled her eyes at him.

"Nooo... Ofcourse not." She smiled.
"To walk... Hand in hand, and eyes in eyes."

"And, lips in lips?"

"It's not London Barrister Babu."
Bondita's head was still rested on his chest, listening to the gradual sound of his heartbeat.

"Then let's go to London Bondita... When all these is over."

"And? Do what?"

Anirudh smiled at her questions.
"It's not about going or living in England, it's about experiencing a new perspective of life amidst a foreign land... It's an experience Bondita, a self enriching one... And, although my heart lies in my own land, and I know for sure this is where I'd come back... But, staying away for sometime would give you time, I mean, it'd give us time to figure out what we need in life."

"A new start?"
Bondita hushed.

"No... A short break from all these." He hushed back, "besides, Baba and Som would be there too... You haven't seen them in a long time."

The evening felt pleasing, the chill in the air was suddenly full of warmth, and standing in the open balcony, Anirudh and Bondita felt at ease, leaving behind the memories of the dark night they dreamt of a future, a beautiful future that awaited them, for no matter what, they knew they'd sail through, like always, hand in hand.