~96~ Jericho

Josie's POV

"Mason, can't you drive any faster?!?"

Mason puts his thumb under his chin and fans his fingers across his face to hide a smirk as he clears his throat.

"Jocelyn, it doesn't matter how fast I drive, the plane won't get to the airport any earlier."

"It might! Haven't you ever heard of a plane arriving early before?"

He grins as he looks at me, putting a hand gently on my thigh. "You love this girl, don't you?"

"Yeah. She's the best friend I've always wanted, and I've missed her these last few weeks. I can't wait for you to meet her."

"Well I really hope I like her then, because that could get awkward," he teases as he steps on the gas just a tiny bit.

"Dang I never thought about that! What if you hate her?!?"

Mason laughs out loud and shakes his head. "Jocelyn Grace I was kidding!"

"Well I'm not. What if you hate my best friend?"

"Me and my big mouth. Jose, I won't. I'm anxious to meet her. I'm sorry I put that fear into your head—I was honestly just kidding."

I lean back in my seat and look out the window, suddenly nervous. It would make good drama if my brother hated my BFF...But I'm too old for drama....

~*~

When I see her crazy fire-red hair in the sea of people, I nudge Mason in the ribs. "There she is!"

Mason smiles as he sees a short girl with hair past her butt, carrying a backpack that looks heavy.

"Like her already," he nods, kissing my hair.

When she sees me, she lets out a squeal and rushes over, and we hug so tightly that she starts falling backwards. Mason tries to steady us but her book bag is just too heavy and gravity betrays us.

We make a spectacle in the airport with me on top of her, sprawled on the ground and us laughing hysterically.

"Ow that hurt!" She cries, laughing so hard tears are pouring out.

"Sorry," I wheeze, reaching for Mason to help me off of Jericho.

Mason puts his hands under my armpits and pulls me up, and then offers his hand to Jericho.

"You're taller than I was expecting," she grins as she blows fiery red out of her face and dusts off her hands.

Mason laughs as he picks up her book bag. "And you're clumsier."

Jericho turns to me, her eyes shining. "He's got your wit!"

"Fantastic," I moan as I hug her once more. "Have a good Christmas?"

"Not bad. I'll tell you though, sleeping a solid five hours a night felt amazing!"

"You didn't sleep in?" I ask as we start walking to the baggage claim.

"No. My dad is a crazy morning person who expected me out of bed by 5. You're not a crazy morning person, are ya?" She asks Mason.

Mason shakes his head as he stops in front of the conveyor belt. "Night owl."

"I knew coming here would be a better idea than going to my grandma's in Branson."

As we start walking, letting Mason take her luggage as we make our way out of the airport, she nudges me playfully with her hip. "So tell me, how did your date go with Mister Hunk Man?"

"How do you know he's a hunk?"

She shrugs as she links my arm with hers. "Snooped on his socials."

I give her a look and she gives me an unashamed grin. "So spill, Josie."