~21~ Can't Look Past

Gabby's POV

Ellie and Shay are working on laundry and Nolan and Luke are playing Fortnite.

"Revive me!" Luke screeches while Nolan is trying to avoid the storm.

"Dude, revive me right now!" Luke hisses as he slugs Nolan in the arm.

"Ouch. Don't gotta be nasty," Nolan mutters as he goes over to Luke's guy and does something.

When dad and Taylor walk through the door, they both look tired. "Where's Lilah?" Dad asks Ellie as she folds some towels.

Ellie points to the sunroom, and Dad walks in there.

After a few minutes, I hear them screaming. "I SWEAR, LILAH MARIE, IF YOU PAY HIS BOND I WILL LEAVE YOU!"

"DON'T THREATEN ME!!!" She screams back.

"It's not a damn threat. This is his life, Lilah. If you keep enabling him, he will be destroyed. You pay his bail, you and I are done."

"Ok," she scoffs as she walks into the kitchen and gets on her phone.

Dad comes over and takes the phone out of her hands, throwing it across the room and shattering it.

"WHAT THE HELL!!!" Mom screams as she shoves him.

"Don't. Do. It." Dad says through clenched teeth.

"My son is in jail...JAIL! You're telling me that if this was Luke, Ellie wouldn't be headed to the jail right now?"

She looks at Ellie, and Ellie shakes her head. "Don't put me in the middle of this, Lilah."

"Why not?!? You've been in our damn business for months. Why are you magically now gonna act all innocent?"

Ellie rolls her eyes and starts to walk away, when mom grabs her arm and pulls her back.

Taylor starts to walk over and step in, when Ellie yanks her arm out of mom's hand and grabs her's, spinning her around and shoving her against the wall. She gets in mom's face, and speaks in a scary voice. "I'm giving you a pass since you're my sister. The next time you put your hands on me, be prepared to have them broken."

"This is why she still scares me," Luke mumbles as he turns his attention back to the game, while Nolan is still staring with his mouth hanging open.

"Lilah, I've about had it wi-..." Taylor starts, when Ellie holds up her hand to silence him.

"If this was Luke, he would stay in jail, Lilah."

"I'm really feeling the love," Luke mutters to
Nolan, causing him to grin and turn his attention back to the game too.

"Uh huh, sure," mom mocks as she moves around Ellie and goes back up to dad.

"I don't know if I can ever forgive you for this," she hisses.

"This is where your son gets it," he snaps as he goes up the stairs and slams the door.

~*~

Luke stays downstairs all day with us to try and keep our mind off of everything, while Shay helps Ellie do housework.

"You can go play that card game with them, darling. You don't have to keep helping," Ellie says softly.

"It's ok. Luke cheats and it's annoying," she grins.

"Hey!!!" He yells, acting offended. Then he winks at her and grins, turning his attention back to Catan.

This game confuses me, but the boys are having fun being all strategic, and I'm just trying to have an excuse to snoop.