~41~ The Bunny And The Lion

Mason's POV

I don't sleep worth shit during the night. I tossed and turned so much, I got up and sat outside until the sunrise so I wouldn't wake up Sasha. I go to work on my own today, and take the long way. I get myself a Starbucks coffee and egg bites, and sit in my car while I eat.

When I get into work, Ellie is already there. I lean on her doorframe and when she sees me, she stands up and comes over. She pulls me into a huge hug, and I have to bite my lip to keep from crying.

I cannot cry at school

"Thank you," she whispers as she hugs my neck even tighter.

I pull away and her brown eyes stare deep into my soul, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she knows how I'm feeling and what I'm thinking.

"Have you talked to him?" I ask, my voice shaking as I try and stop the tears wanting to spill out.

She shakes her head. "No. But if I did I would defend you—You did nothing wrong. Taylor told me how proud of you he was."

I shrug as I pick at a loose string on my shirt. "He's the best friend I've ever had, Ellie."

She nods and squeezes my hand. "Then you owed him this."

"What do I do?" I ask, blinking away the tears wanting to fall and breathing in through my nose.

"You do nothing; Let him stew on his own. Let him process. You're his best friend too and I know that boy of mine. He's feeling just as bad about your fight as you are. The amount of love he has for you....Mason, you're his brother. This did not ruin your friendship. You know as well as I do that he would have done this for you, so you owed this to him...."

"It just really hurts."

She nods as she cups my cheek with her hand. "I know, love."

I blow out a big breath. "I've gotta get to my room. Have a good day, Ellie."

"You too."

~*~

When my class comes in for 5th period, Savannah isn't there. Please don't let her skip. I don't wanna face Liam right now.

When bell rings she doesn't come, and I inwardly groan. I'm gonna have to call him, at the very least.

As I'm ten minutes into my lecture, Savannah comes in and sits in her seat without looking at me.

"Have a pass, Savannah?" I ask in a low tone.

She simply shakes her head without looking at me once.

"See me after class," I say as I go back to the lesson.

Once class is over, I sit at my desk and hope she actually comes up to me and I don't have to hunt her down next period.

I'm grading a paper as I hear her walk up. When I look at her, she's staring at my desk and still looks embarrassed.

"Why were you late?" I hate that she won't look at me.

She shrugs once.

"Tell me or I'll write you a detention slip."

She blows out a breath. "I thought about skipping, then changed my mind."

I continue to stare at her, and she continues to stare at my desk. "I'm glad you chose not to skip, Savvy. Thank you."

"Can I go so I'm not late to my next class?"

"I'll write you a pass," I say as students start coming into my room.