Chapter 37. Wide Awake (David)

(Present time)

   "Hello!" 

   One word and I am wide awake at five in the morning, despite the fact that I've probably fallen asleep no more than three hours ago. This deep, sensual voice can never be mistaken. The cute accent instantly makes the corners of my mouth curve in a smile.  Maybe, I am just dreaming. It's been more than a week. I've almost given up hope. I am also not sure if this is a good idea for me at all in my poor mental state at the moment. I've been spiraling into all kind of emotions, from anger to despair, since I realized that the scary scenes, appearing constantly before my eyes for some time now, are not hallucinations, but small bits and pieces of memories, slowly emerging from the depths of my subconsciousness.

   "Angel?" Ryo hesitantly whispers, chasing away all my thoughts and leaving only the image of his stunning face in my head. I am still not able to answer. I want to say something, but it seems I am at a loss of words, happy and terrified at the same time. 

   "Yurushite, Otokomae! (Forgive me, handsome!) I should've called sooner," he says gently. "Probably, not at this early hour either. Were you sleeping?"

   "I... No... Yes," I finally mumble, making him chuckle. "I'm glad you called."

   "Are you alright?" Ryo asks in concern. "You sound kind of different, worried. Has something happened?"

   "No... Yes... Ugh, no..." I squeeze my eyes in frustration. I should think better before answering instead of stuttering and sounding like an idiot. I take a deep breath and say more steadily, "I am fine, just sleepy and a little surprised."

   "I know. It took me some time. But you should know that I always do what I've promised," he states firmly. A short pause follows and then he sighs, adding apologetically, "I am in Italy. My business partner called me urgently and I had to catch the first plane."

   "Oh," I only manage to mutter. "It must be wonderful there. How is it going...umm... your work I mean?"

   "Boring. Nothing I can't handle, though, but I'll have to stay here for another week," Ryo huffs in annoyance. I giggle. It's funny that someone can be irritated by having to stay longer in Italy. Going there seems to me an unattainable fantasy.

   "Sorry!" Ryo laughs too. "I know I sound like a brat. It's just that this is not the place where I want to be at the moment. Anyway, I wanted to ask you something. Would you like to see me when I come back?"

   My heart skips a beat. That really caught me off guard. Of course I want to meet him again and it is an understatement. I have been craving his touch every single day, desperate to see his smile, those deep, dark eyes. I need to be with him more than anything, but I am hesitant now. What if I am not the person I have always thought I was. What if I did something terrible, so awful that the guilt made my brain completely erase the memory, or rather hide it so deep that it didn't come out for twenty years? What if I caused someone's death? Sarah says this is bullshit and I shouldn't jump to conclusions since I can recall only a tiny part of the events. But there is something that bothers me most of all. Why would my parents hide the truth for so many years if it wasn't my fault?

   I feel a sudden onset of nausea and quickly cover my mouth with a hand. This is too much for me to handle. Maybe it's best to tell him I can't see him again and let him go on with his life. He certainly doesn't need all the problems I carry with me. He will regret this. I know he will one day.

   "Angel san," Ryo interrupts the dark trail of thoughts I'm taking. "Anata ga nani o kangaete mo, watashi wa akiramemasen. Dameda! (Whatever you're thinking, I won't give up. No way!) You better say yes now and spare us the unnecessary arguments and persuasion. You'll be with me."

   "Thank you!" I whisper. Perhaps there is no logic in my answer, but I really feel grateful. I have no idea how he does it, but Ryo always manages to predict when my anxiety will take the best of me and somehow stop it. I need him. I might be unworthy, but he is exactly what I need. I have no doubts about it anymore. "I want to see you... of course... whenever you like."

   "That's better," he laughs. "Don't dare even think of running away from me, Ōkina neko (Big cat)."

   "Never came across my mind," I finally smile. "Do you want to come visit me in my house? I'll send you the address..."

    "No," Ryo interrupts me. "I am honored and thankful for your trust in me, but that's not how it'll happen."

   "Oh, right!" My face flushes in bright red. Why would he want to come here. We're not boyfriends or something. I need to stop being such a fool and calm down. "I will call my personal assistant, Lea. She will arrange for us to meet at the same place like before. Is that going to be alright?"

   "No," he replies sternly again, leaving me utterly surprised and puzzled. "You will do exactly as I say, Otokomae."

   "Ok," I mumble. A rush of heat makes my body tremble. Why do I like it so much when he is harsh and commanding? "What do you want me to do?"

   "I will need your address, but not to come over," he says. "Send it to me and wait for my instructions. I'll write you a message."

   "Can't you just tell me now?" I whine, slightly anxious about what he is planning.

   "No, Angel san," he chuckles. "Don't call to tell me you can't do it either. I won't pick up. There will be only two options, oblige and be with me or never see me again. The choice will be only yours to make."

   I gasp at his resolute tone. Why is he doing this to me? What are his intentions? I want to ask him so many questions, but keep quiet. I already know how to play the game. He orders and I obey.

   "Angel," he says tenderly. "I missed you."

________________________________

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of chapter 37.

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

So, Ryo called, but true to himself left us wit a mystery. 😏

What do you think he will ask Angel to do? 🤔

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you feel like.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the chapter.

Thank you!

Love: Anny