Chapter 6. 贈り物* (David)

*okurimono - a gift

   (Present time)

   I am fidgeting at the door, having no idea what to do with my hands. I shove them in my pants pockets first, then in my jacket pockets, but it feels weird and inappropriate in both cases, so I finally clutch them behind my back, pleading with myself to stop moving.

   Mr. Magnetic Eyes does not make things any easier. He is back to his seat on the sofa, observing me silently again. A strange desire arises in me for him to like me. He is one of those people who enter a room and are immediately noticed, making everyone eager to oblige them. It's not only the looks, but rather the power and self-confidence, radiating from him. He just owns the space.

   "Mmm... I am... Angel," I force myself to mumble. He obviously knows the name, but I can't think of anything better to say and he seems determined to let me make my own mind whether and when to approach him. "N-nice to m-meet... you!"

   "Hajimemashite!" (Nice to meet you!) He bows his head slightly and waves to an armchair, choosing the one farther from him, "You might want to sit."

   Oh, my God! I really need to sit or else I'll collapse on the floor at any moment. My legs are like jelly. I slowly drag myself to the offered chair and flop on it heavily. The man is chuckling. I don't blame him.

   "How about a drink?" he pins his dark eyes on me.

   "I... umm... can't drink." I spare him the details about my pills not working well with alcohol. He nods in understanding. Maybe, he already knows it. "Aren't you... uhm... going to tell me... your name?" I mutter, sweating under his intense stare. I feel like a mouse. He is the cat, lurking in the dark, ready for the jump.

   "I haven't decided about a name yet," he states. His answer puzzles me, but I do not have the courage to ask for an explanation and drop my head, gazing at the tips of my perfectly polished shoes instead. He probably senses my confusion and adds, "It will be only for you to use, okurimono. I am still not sure which the right one is."

   My heart jumps. No one has ever given themselves a special name as a gift for me. I guess, I can return the gesture by making Angel exclusive for him to call me. This really sounds nice. I smile and raise my head. Our eyes meet. His irises are warm, luring, mesmerizing. I am lost in these deep, dark, glimmering oceans of promises. The air between us is charged with tension. I can feel the temperature rising. There is a slight movement under his mask. I just know that he is biting his lip.

   "Can I see you face?" I blurt out, instantly mortified by this sudden, totally uncommon act of boldness. "I am so sorry! You don't have to..."

   "Hai," he nods before I finish. His hand pats the seat next to him on the sofa. He points at his mask, "Remove it!"

   My lips form a soundless "Nooo!" while I am shaking my head incredulously. He can't possibly think that I am capable of sitting next to him and taking it off myself. I would faint. No, I would actually die. Right on the spot. 

   Oh, God! The cat just jumped. The mouse is doomed.

   Contrary to all logic and everything I've done in my life so far, I stand up and walk towards him. There is no way to stop. His eyes are pulling me like a magnet. I am the moth and he is the flame. The black piece of cloth, covering his face, becomes the sixth lamp. I just can't breathe because it is there. Its existence is against my perception of the world. It must disappear for me to live. My throat tightens.

   I sit a foot away from him and reach out, but my trembling hand remains hanging in the air. I am still afraid. My heart is going to jump out of my chest. I close my eyes, dizzy by the lack of oxygen.

   "Angel, breathe!" I hear his voice through the darkness and obediently take a big gulp of air. "Now open your eyes!"

   I do it and gasp loudly. The mask is gone. I am lost. I will never consider any other face handsome. He is everything I call perfect.

__________________________

Photo 214920621 © Photoaliona | Dreamstime.com

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of chapter 6.

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

Were you surprised?

Do you think Lea did a good job and these two will get along well?

Do you think this is a random man?

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you feel like.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the chapter.

Thank you!