Chapter 78. 師匠からの教訓* (David)

*Shishō kara no kyōkun - Lessons from the master

[xxx - mature content warning]

(Present time)

   Ryo is dragging me up the stairs, holding my hand. I am trying to follow, but my legs are still shaking. There is this swishing sound in my ears, which makes me dizzy and slow. My gaze is focused on the mesmerizing play of his muscles. The sight once again gives me the boost of energy I need to keep up with his crazy pace.

   "Hurry up!" he urges me, glancing at me over his shoulder. His satiny hair falls over his face, covering his eyes. He shakes his head to remove it and laughs. The smooth strands reflect the soft light from the crystal chandelier above, sparkling as if sprinkled with tiny diamonds. I only smile because he always makes me happy. Perfect. That's what he is, even when his games raise my hackles. My perfect mistake, and my long-awaited salvation. He snaps his fingers close to my ear. "Wake up, Ōkina Neko. I am not letting you rest yet."

   "Who wants to rest?" I mumble and instantly trip on the last step, almost sprawling face down on the landing.

   "My God! Don't break something now." He pushes me against the wall and gives me a searing kiss, which leaves me even more dazed. Then, he grips my chin and studies my flushed face. "You are not what you think you are."

   "What is that supposed to mean?" I hum, confused at the sudden statement.

   "You are neither timid nor weak," he says with resolution, written all over his face. "A man like you craves to take full control. I saw it. You are simply afraid to do it. But this is going to change soon."

   "Doesn't being weak mean exactly that?" I retort. "Aren't fear and hesitation signs of weakness?"

   "No," he firmly answers. "They are only proof of the fact that we are all humans, and also means of protection. Those emotions do not determine who you are."

   "I do not understand where this is going." I stare at him in confusion. The determination in his posture and his every word would have probably worried me a bit yesterday. Now, I am only intrigued. Ryo never does or says anything for no reason. Apparently, he has decided to change my life, including my attitude towards the world around me. His motives are still not entirely clear. It could be guilt, pity... or love. I will do my best to find out one day.

   "It is very simple, Angel San." He pecks my lips and cheekily grins. "Shishō kara no kyōkun (a lesson from the master). Today is your lucky day. You are getting one for free, a live hack from someone who used to be exactly like you, hiding from too many shadows, scared to take the lead, unhappy."