CHAPTER- 46

After Kait went out from the washroom, Aahana still was in the stall for some times. After 15 minutes or so, she came out of the stall and went to the sink, where her eyes caught a glance at her own reflection; Red puffy eyes and black under eyes due to the smudged kohl, tear streaked cheeks and pink runny nose. She looked intently at herself for a minute before splashing water on the face, rubbing her cheeks harshly to remove any traces of crying. But in the middle of doing that, she broke down again. More of tears were running from her eyes, as she slid down on the floor and started hiccupping. She bent her knees to her chest and hugged them tightly. She didn't have any idea how she would face Nick after this. From this proposal one thing was clear to her. He didn't have any feelings for her, not in a romantic way. Now she felt really embarrassed to put the CD on his desk. 

What if he sees it? Or maybe he already did? What is he thinking about me? Like how desperate I sounded? Or how shameless I am that I didn't respect our friendship and confessed to him? I just wanted to be by his side for the remained days, but I ruined that chance totally. I am an awful person as a friend. 

She was in her thoughts, when a sound brought her into reality. The sound of someone's footsteps. The sound was approaching towards her, meaning someone was coming to the washroom. She was scrambling up when her head hit the sink. 

"Ouch!!" Holding her head, she got up and opened the tap on the sink, splashing water again her face when one woman came in. She just looked Aahana's way and went to a stall. Aahana sighed deeply and stopped the water before taking out her napkin from pocket. She wiped the excess water from her face and looked at the reflection again. Now she looked more presentable and herself or more like her professional self. She took some deep breathes before finally out of the washroom and straight to her desk. She avoided to talk with anyone except the work-related. She was even relieved that she didn't run to Nick after the whole proposal drama. She couldn't stand in front of him, at least not now. She finished her job for the day and left early than others and went straight to her home. There she laid down on her bed and stared at the ceilings, replaying the scenes from the day in her mind which caused a single tear rolling down from her left eye. 

"You are here? And I'm looking for you in the whole office. And why didn't you pick up my calls? You got me scared for a second." Kait spoke out, bursting into her room. She was breathing heavily cause of running. 

Aahana looked her indifferent manner.

"Why? Why are you looking for me?" She asked with a straight face, still lying in bed.

Kait got hurt by her best friend's behavior, but she couldn't really blame her for that. She was the only one who knew everything what Aahana was going through right now and she felt bad for her best friend. So, she just shrugged the feelings and continued in serious tone.

"I need to talk about something important. You know... after coming out of the washroom, I was going to the Nick's office to tell him off..."

"Kait... Please. If you want to talk about him, then I don't want to listen. By the way, you promised me that you won't go to him. So, what happened to that promise? Or do I not matter to you that you couldn't keep your promise, at least?" She annoyingly spoke out.

This time Kait didn't stop, she told what was in her mind.

"Aahana! I know you're upset from what happened earlier. You got heartbroken. I understand. But that does not give you any permission to hurt my feelings as well." 

Hearing Kait, Aahana felt bad for her own words. But right now, she didn't even apologize because she felt somehow betrayed by Kait. Kait understood that as well, so without expecting anything, she resumed.