CHAPTER - 45

Nick's steps halted when he finally had reached the cafeteria. All workers from every department were gathered there. But his eyes immediately found the pair of eyes which he came to love these days. Her face lightened up when their eyes met and a smile crept into his face automatically despite being the situation he was in. At that moment, everything faded away -- the thought of himself or being blackmailed, even the fear of losing her; which mattered most to him at that moment, was her extremely shining eyes filled with happiness when they met with his. His heart panged from the thought of hurting her. He didn't really know what Aahana's feelings were for him, but he knew that after what would happen, she would get hurt. Just the thought of it brought tears in his eyes. He immediately blinked to stop the tears coming out of his eyes. 

No. I can't show how weak I am feeling right now. Specially not  to Aahana. I have to be strong, for Aahana.

Nick closed his eyes for a second and took some deep breathes, before opening them again and looked past those enticing eyes. After noticing Amy stood few steps behind Aahana and a cruel smirk plastered on her face, he clenched his hand into a fist and gritted his teeth, just for a second before acted normally. He took his first step towards her, but it felt heavy. When did the footsteps become so heavy for him?  It felt like lifting a mountain, but he slowly dragged them. His eyes noticed that Aahana had been looking expectantly towards him as Kait pushed her best friend lightly to the front. His heart clenched in pain knowing what would happen next. He just went past them, but not without catching a glimpse of confused and surprised expression on both of their faces. Yet he couldn't do anything except just watching and hurting inside. He stopped in front of Amy and knelt on one knee before pulling out the ring and asked the question with a heavy heart.

"Will you marry me, Amy?"

He could hear all the surprised gasps and whispering from people around them, but corner of his eyes followed just one person in that crowd. Her eyes went big before a shadow fell down on her face and her eyes got saddened. He couldn't focus more on Aahana's expression since Amy put her hand on his hand already. 

"Yes!" Amy replied, smiling brightly which might hide her cruelty from others, but not to Nick; He saw the cruelness in her glinting eyes behind that dazzling smile. He gave her a eyeroll before grabbing her hand.

"Oh Baby, be careful. It hurts." She gritted her teeth behind the smile.

"Oops! Sorry baby." He replied sarcastically.

He held the ring but was hesitant to put on her finger. He didn't want to give her finger in the first place, not for just a mere show. As his mother wished, he did wanted to give this ring to the person he would fell in love. To Aahana, if he ever could confess his love to her and if she would return them ever. He was in his thoughts when he felt a sharp pain from his left palm. Hissing in pain, he looked at the direction to see Amy scratched his palm with her long manicured nails to grab his attention. He glared at her, but Amy also did an eyeroll and gestured towards the ring. He sighed and put the ring on her ring finger skeptically. Amy squealed and showed off to her model friends. Nick finally got up from the ground with a heavy heart and about to go back to his cabin, when Amy held his hand and smiled. 

"Oh Baby!" She spoke before going for a kiss on his lips, but he dodged it by turning his face sideways and the kiss landed on his left cheek. The workers got surprised at their behavior, nevertheless they clapped and cheered for the couple.

Nick's eyes fell again on where Aahana and Kait were. He could see that Kait was fuming under her breathe, eyes were red in anger. She murmured something before stomping her foot and charging towards him. He thought of getting beaten up by her, which he deserved at that moment, but Aahana grabbed her roommate's hand. Kait looked at her friend questioning, but Aahana shook her head slowly. Nick noticed that too. He even saw her quivering lips pressed against each other in attempt to not to cry or show any emotions. Aahana tilted her head and let her expression do all the talk. Kait understood what her friend wanted to tell; She refrained herself, but couldn't erase the angry expression from her face.