CHAPTER - 41

They were sitting in that position until Nick calmed himself down. Nick finally let go of Aahana from the tight hug and wiped the his eyes to meet with a pair of red puffy eyes due to crying so much. Nick's heart ached to see the sight in front of him. How can anyone cry so much for other person? He reached his left hand to hold her cheek, but stopped mid way, instead he bopped her nose playfully; a warm smile played on his lips. Her eyes went slightly big. 

"Why are you crying like a crybaby?" He teased her. She didn't notice his teasing, so she just casually said what's on her mind with heavy voice.

 "What do you mean? I cried because you ---" 

But immediately stopped mid sentence and avoided the eye contact with him; then she rubbed the extra tears and cleared her throat to say something to distract him, but she noticed his roguish grin and halted to yell at him. 

"HEY! Stop teasing me. And here I am worrying for you! How rude! I am going back." She got up and turned back, but stopped in her track as Nick grasped her hand in his firm grip. She looked back at him, her eyes were shining with the gloss of held back tears and lips were pressed tightly together.  

His heart softened and felt guilty. "I'm sorry. Please don't go."

Aahana avoided his eyes, a bit sulky. Nick stood up without letting go of Aahana's hand and covered her hand within his other hand. 

"Thank you." He softly spoke.

Aahana finally looked at him with questioning eyes, left brow slightly upwards. He loved her this expression so much, especially the eyebrow part. He smiled himself, then spoke out while looking into her eyes earnestly.

"Thank you. Thank you for bringing me here, let me see my mother again and connecting us two. I don't know how to express my gratitude, but I thank--"

"Psst...." 

"Huh?" Nick was confused. 

"Why are you thanking me, you stupid? I didn't do anything special. So just keep your 'thank you ' to you."

"W-w-what? You called me Stupid ?" Nick was surprised, since she never called him that or any other thing, at least not in front of him.

"Gotcha." She laughed aloud. Nick stood there like a fool, looking at her laughing face, in awe.

After catching her breath, "It was a payback for calling me crybaby and teasing me.", she announced proudly. 

         He was awestruck by her childlike glow on her face. He never saw this side of Aahana before; he didn't even imagine that this could be a side of her. Of course, he saw many expressions and emotions of Aahana in past months-- from her calm composed face to extreme nervous face, her angry face to comforting, supporting face, her jealous face to proud face. He observed all of them; specially her expressive eyes, it always changed during her emotions. But this was the first time when he saw her childlike expression, eyes sparkling with mischievous. His heart melted at the view and a soft smile crept into his lips.

"Why are you staring at me?" Aahana asked, now being self-conscious. In answer, he smiled broadly while shaking his head back and forth. 

"Nothing. Just thinking, what are we going to do now?"

"Oh!" Realization hit her that they were at the graveyard, in front of his mother's grave. She had  already forgotten the time and place; it was occurring now-a-days, whenever Nick was near her. She mentally scolded herself before answering him.    

"Yeah.. this bouquet... I bought this bouquet and candle from the shop for praying. But other than that, I know nothing about rituals or anything. It's my first time in a cemetery. Sorry!" She apologized, head down.