-74-

"This is big." I said as we stepped inside the simple door right into a huge great hall with shiny dirty red marble floors. I felt a bit relieved as on the way hear people stared at her since she was still not wearing her corset and undershirt, in here there would be less praying eyes.

"Huge even, could fit a dragon." She said.

Two guards pushed open a gate after a disapproving glance at how she was dressed.

There was a deep red carpet leading to the throne carved out of ore, the matte grey stone having gems littered around the surface of it.

"Excuse my attire king of halfmen but I assume you are not ill informed about my almost fate."

He gave us a look as she spoke without him giving her the right it was not a look of angry contempt but almost bemusement shining through his thick deep brown beard, color matching his hair but not his light brown eyes, as armored up in studded leather armor as the rest of the halfmen with a horned headpiece from bronze and iron.

"You match your mother's charms."

"You knew Seraphim?"

"Not personally but the silver queen was not forgotten by my people."

"You did better at remembering the human's ally then the humans did."

"That's probably true, what brought you here in front of me? I heard many from the commander but want to hear you."

"Aurelius is out to destroy all, if we don't stop him in the next two..... In the next one and half days this will spread and will create an all out war again on Solor's land and the type he is prepared to win.... I need your assistance in fighting his army to get to him and accomplish our foretold destiny with princess Audrey."

"And why would I help?" Oh no...

"Your people will be the next to die after we fall, he looks for utter destruction of everything."

"We could barricade and fight him off."

"You couldn't, he is wild magic itself, he'll find a way. We need your help, the humans are already gathering."

"Then fight with the humans."

"We aren't enough, with the elves and the southern kingdoms we aren't enough, we'd never reach him in time."

"So I should let my people die in favor of those that exiled us."

"The past is the past and the future is now, you fight with us or we all perish."

"How do I know you are strong enough? And that this isn't a headless charge into an early death?"

"I will kill him, his actions lead to the loss and suffering of many people close to me and whom I need to protect as a mage, I was born to serve and protect, I will succeed."

"And if you don't?"

"Then there was no hope from the start."

He mulled over the said words, a hand in his beard and eyes closed, fingers tapping across the armrest.

"I will join your cause." She smiled. "Under one condition." Her smile flattered.

"And what would that be?"

"When the guards strike the gong to signal midnight you will face my most trusted champion, no men alive ever bested him and if you do then there is hope left to spark."

"This is insanity!" I put my first words in. "She was injured not long ago and it would tire her out! Create more injuries! You can--" She felt her grab my upper arm making I looked at her, face turning so scared when I saw the look of acceptance on her face. "You can't be agreeing to this!"

"Hey." She pulled me to her, one hand around me and resting on the small of my back and the other on me cheek. "I'll be fine, trust me."

"But.... But Mystery...." I deflated, she could get so hurt.

"Trust in me Audrey."

"This is too dangerous."

"Trust me."

"I always do but this..."

"It'll be fine, you know I am not that easy to beat."

"Fine... But don't you dare get crippled.... And fuck his shit up."She chuckled before hugging me and I did too, the hug ending all to quick in my opinion.

"I accept to fight the champion never beat by men... But I'll win as I am not a man but a woman."

The midnight gong echoed through the cavern as I sat up with the Halfmen king and Ethan, nervous, leg bouncing.

"Hey." I shuddered in disgust at his touch but he just pat thigh. "She'll be fine."

"Do not touch me Ethan, never." I hissed and he sighed with a nod.

"Alright, I apologies."

I watched her enter the shineless yellow granite with orange and brown speck covered arena as the crew screamed in cheers.

The walls were several meters high and it was circular, a big arena, at least one hundred yards so this place was built for big events.

I studied the man that was facing her down.

Skin almost as dark as Calypso but still visibly lighter, white lines swirling around on his skin with shapes to accompany them, from his wrists up his arms and to his shoulders, a sun shape on his chest and a few others around his eyes. Unlike usual elves, his body was well developed, muscled in all the right places but just half a head taller then Arianwyn is. His black hair possibly shoulder length, slicked back and pulled in a tight pony tail.

He didn't wear much, some brown fabric was wrapped around his foot and ankle but left his toes and heel uncovered with a leather-like material from which his pants were made, and the same fabric around his wrist and fists.

"What is she doing?!" I screamed as I saw her discard all her all her protection, staying in only her pants, binds and gloves.

"She is making this equal." Ethan said. "When it was me facing her she also did this." He visibly shivered it fear at the memory, rubbing his hands together. "She thinks it would be disadvantageous."

"She did that to you to show off."

"No, not only that, you know she is not like that." Yeah I know...

I watched the elf lowered his eyes, one foot sliding back and lock behind the other, arms crossing in his back as he lowered himself, bending at the waist, in a bow.

Arianwyn steadied her feet at shoulder lengths apart and straightened herself out, resting right fist over her heart and the other arm just bent in her back to be out of her way and bowed her head.

"What?"

"Warrior greetings from two different races." Ethan filled in.

None moved until someone took her clothes out of the arena.

His stance shifted lower to the ground, feet apart and arms bent at his side, a strong and solid stance while she slid her left foot back and stood diagonally with her knees slightly bent, left fist and arm raised right up right by her face with the back of it turned against her while the right hand was held out straight in front of her, lower at breast level, palm facing the ground, a light stance.

"Tonight the silver dragon fights my most trusted warrior! Warrior Dun of the Golden Pelts! Let this fight choose the fate of our people!" The king loudly declared as the crowd cheered and the gong rang out to signal the start.