-3-

Our castle grounds were big enough to fit many of the needed buildings, from the servants' quarters to the weapon smith to the quarters of the elementals. It would be safer this way instead of always leaving the protective walls around the place, and also convenient for all.

Elementals are a type of mage that have magic born inside their body, and they do not use the outside magic that's everywhere in the world. That is called wild magic. Elemental magic is more stable too but can only control the elements from what I was taught... I wish I could do that, mother said our family has a small innate knowledge of magic but mine didn't manifest yet, my mother's was an intimidating aura and my brother Eleric's was to be able to calm anyone down with a few words.

Oh Eleric... He failed his trial and abdicated the right to the throne and now I am to face the dragons to see if I can be the next queen.

I do not want too it to be honest with myself.

So many whispers.

I am not like they want me too, I don't behave like it and I don't even just look how they want me too... I am not frail enough, too imposing, they think I am not fit for the role and I don't think I was either but I must do it, I am of age and the next to pass the test. I had even passed up my first chance for my younger siblings and they have failed too... Last chance with me.

I brushed out my shoulder length chestnut hair, I need to look presentable to the trial. I wonder what will happen, I only heard myths of it as we couldn't be in the room with the sibling taking the test.

I looked around my room... The bedside table and the bed were the closest to the window with a bookshelf on the opposite was with an armchair in the corner. Next to the shelf on the other side was a big chest for who knows what, I threw everything and anything in it, and a dresser with a mirror on top.

The wall in front of me had the wardrobe. There was was a small desk pushed up next to the armchair and that was all the furniture. There was a royal red carpet covering the ground and let me slightly sink in it. All had hues of red with white accents and gold.

A maid helped me into a green dress with long sleeves that hugged my form with no design sewn into it, just plain and simple green.

I sighed softly, I know this is a queendom and no man has ever reigned on it since the dark days where humanity almost went extinct but I wished Eleric would have, the people love him and his magic would have made it easy for him.

"Dear maid do tell the guards I am ready to head out to meet with my mother."

"Right away princess Audrey." She bowed and walked out.

-------------------------------

The dragons were of many colors, their scales reflecting the lights of the magical torches, those were crystals lit up with magic so the soot and smoke of real torches didn't dirty the interior.

This was a secret room I never knew about with some secret entrance in the forms of underground tunnels as I am sure I would have spotted dragons flying around in the sky... They are so majestic.

I was more interested in the elemental mages tho. 

I've always seen them from afar, them and I having each their own training and work so we've never been this close to each other and never previously need to be. I had learnt about dragons and seen drawings of them, touched some scales kept by the archivist so they were not at much of a mystery as these mages were to me, I literally only know the basics and what I saw with my own eyes.