Chapter 56

(To Damon)

He finishes washing up then steps out of the shower and puts a towel around his waist.

"You're late. We're supposed to meet Bonnie and (Y/N) at the old witch house in 10 minutes." Stefan states as Damon walks out of the bathroom.

"Relax, Brother. You don't want your hair to fall out." Damon teases.

"Would you hurry up? We have work to do. You know, Klaus isn't going to spontaneously self-destruct." Stefan insists and Damon nods with a smile. "Why are you all chipper?" Stefan asks.

"No reason. Be with you in a minute." Damon answers and then walks away.

(To Rick)

"So, uh, what's got you all worked up?" Rick asks holding onto the punching bag that Elena was desperately trying to kill.

"I didn't really sleep last night." Elena answers.

"Yeah, me neither. Probably something to do with dying." Rick points out.

"Are you ok?" Elena questions.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm fine. I think the ring, however, is running low on batteries." Rick responds.

"Yeah, it's another reason why Jeremy has to get out of town. I those rings have a shelf life, he's not protected. Neither are you." Elena declares as she kicks the punching bag.

"Uh! Nice. Nice. You're getting stronger." Rick states.

"I'm channeling frustration. I need coffee." Elena insists as she walks over to the coffee pot.

"I guess Damon's compulsion worked. (Y/N) was helping Jeremy pack when I left the house. He was going on about his new school in Denver." Rick informs.

"Have you, uh, talked to Damon today?" Elena asks.

"No. Why?" Rick questions.

"No reason." Elena responds and then begins drinking her coffee.

(To me)

I walk down to the basement of the church to see Bonnie chanting and then tries to open the coffin.

"Uhh! Why won't you open?!" Bonnie exclaims and I go to walk up to here when the whispers begin. Bonnie and I look down to see they coffins were gone. "Did I get followed here?" I wonder as I turn towards the stairs with a worried expression.

"Hello?" I calls out but there was no answer and I look over at Bonnie.

"Is someone there?" Bonnie asks and I then feel a Hybrids presence.

"Bonnie." I warn and she looks over at me.

(To Damon)

"You and (Y/N) didn't say anything to Elena about the coffins, right?" Stefan asks as they are walking up to the old church building.

"No. We said we wouldn't." Damon answers.

"I know what you two said." Stefan states.

"Then why are you asking?" Damon questions.

"Because protecting the location of Klaus' family is my number one priority right now and the fewer people who know, the better." Stefan insists, but Damon stops walking and grabs his arm. "What?" Stefan asks.

(To me)

I feel a presence I know all to well causing me to look over to see Damon on the stairs with his finger against his lips.