⚠𝑺𝑾𝑬𝑬𝑻 𝑺𝑼𝑹𝑷𝑹𝑰𝑺𝑬𝑺⚠

𝐒𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐓 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐄𝐒

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

"We have to make these chocolate covered strawberries for Thomas's anniversary with Lizzie. He can't bloody make one thing that man." Polly scoffed, getting packs of chocolate out while lighting the stove.

"We have everything?"

"I got the berries from the market down the street, chocolate, yep. Hopefully the kids don't eat all of them." You hummed, washing them under the water. You both were scrambling around the kitchen, trying to get these for Thomas as he was impatient. But, at least he didn't buy her something expensive for once and it's actually coming from his heart.

"How long do these need to be in the cold?"

"For about..an hour to two hours. Then we bring it to his place tonight." She answered. She got a pot out, putting it over the now hot stove. The sounds of the fire crackling against the now hot metal was oddly calming. You started chopping up the chocolate into tinier pieces so it would melt faster.

She put the strawberries on a towel in parallel rows, going to dip them and put them back. After you were done chopping up the milk and dark chocolate, you put them next to the stove so when Polly was ready you could easily slide one pile in.

"We might need another pot. We have dark and milk chocolate." Your lips swished to the side of your face, thinking.

"Then go ahead. Mary will clean the pots." You looked at her and looked back as quick as possible, getting another pot out of the cabinet. You lit another area, setting it on it. You leaned against the counter while you waited for Polly.

It was a rainy day, full of a thunderstorm. The leaves hit the windows, making a sharp sound against the window. The wind blew, fitful almost. It was blowing objects across the town but it was a normal fall in Small Heath for you.

Polly finished the strawberries, giving you the cue to put the chocolate in the pots. You took a knife and slid them in, putting the cutting board down after. You looked back at Polly who was waiting patiently.

"So...how's your week so far?" You tried to start a conversation. She acknowledged you, thinking for a moment.

"I've been a bit stressed, Tommy's been needing help with the accounts. But it's well, I got to see Michael for tea and him and Gina are swell. What about you, darling?" The pet name came out seductively, making you confused but shrugging it off.

"It's fine. Tommy has also been pushing some work on me. I babysat Ruby and Charlie as you know and they were good. They always almost are. Ruby is getting older and more talkative. Lizzie is a bit stressed about Thomas though, we had a little chat. Charlie is still kind of pissed off about the horse. He really is passionate about talking about that. He spent a hour talking. So I'm a bit stressed. John and Esme-"

"Sweetheart, I love that your week has been full of events but, you seem stressed. Why don't I do something to fix that?" The bell interrupted you both, letting you know that the chocolate was melted. You walked over and got a strawberry, dipping it in so it got covered. Polly did the same, humming a melody while doing so.

The chocolate hardened on the strawberry, the chocolates being separated since Thomas was picky. So was Lizzie in a way, but not as much as Tommy. You zoned out as your hands did the work, not thinking much of Polly at that moment.

You got some on your fingers and subconsciously put them in your mouth and licked them off after all the strawberries you did were done. Polly let out a shaky breath, glancing at you. You took your fingers out and wiped them on a towel, throwing it somewhere else.