Till We Meet Again

"Firecracker!" Spinel tackled Dabi into a hug. She had run all the way back home upon seeing the text. "Woah." Her eyes widened as he examined his face. His purple scars and staples were nowhere to be seen. Spinel placed her hand up to his face and pinched his cheek gently. Dabi's skin was healed, no traces of the burns remained on his now porcelain skin.

"I should be the one saying that." Dabi returned the hug gently. "So, I'm assuming all my scars are gone because of your mother?"

Spinel nodded. "Yeah. I-I didn't know if you wanted them gone but it was the only way to cool you down fast enough." She ran her fingers along where his scars used to be. "What the fuck. Your skin is nicer than mine"

"I must say it's nice to see my handsome face again" Dabi joked. His laugh was lighter now, no longer a hoarse growl. Dabi looked so soft when he smiled, without his staples he was able to grin widely without feeling the sharp sting of pain, the bright mood was interrupted with his abrupt seriousness. "Have they told anyone?"

Spinel explained everything that happened after Dabi had left.

"So, you are free now" Dabi furrowed his eyebrows and after a long pause he spoke. "Munchkin. Listen to me very carefully."

Spinel tensed from the sudden and seriousness and nodded.

"I need to leave for a while."

Before Spinel could object, Dabi continued. "The League is still after me, that's why I have to go for a bit."

"H-how long is a bit?"

"I'm not sure. But I'll be leaving tonight. I just wanted to say goodbye to you before I go."

Spinel's eyes glossed over as tears threatened to fall, "Can't you stay?" She whimpered.

"You know I can't"

"Please! Firecracker" tears began to fall once more as she begged her brother to stay. Her hands trembled as she held one of Dabi's hands in her own. "You don't have to go! I-if we be careful, they won't find you." She pleaded finding every logical excuse she could. She knew Dabi was right. She understood why Dabi needed to go, but she didn't want to. "And you look different now! So that's a plus, right?"

Dabi held his baby sister in his arms, his eyes closed as he made a pained expression. He wanted to stay, he wanted to be done with all the mess the league has brought to his doorstep, but he couldn't. He needed to make sure they never found the apartment and that they never targeted his baby sister. "I'm sorry, Munchkin. But please." His voice trembled as he forced his mouth to work.

When she had forgotten to live, he was the one who showed her how. When she felt like her world was falling apart, he did his best to make her feel like it wasn't so bad. When she felt so hopeless like nothing could make her better, he managed to put just the slightest simper on her face. She fought to continue talking through her tears. Her words became more and more crowded. Spinel fell into a mental freefall, unable to analyze or assess the risk as Dabi's words bounced right off her. She pleaded, bargained and begged, her reasons becoming more and more nonsensical.

He cooed trying to soothe her as he kissed the top of her head and rubbed circles on her back like he had done so many times before. He knew once he left the league he would have to leave for a while. He knew it but he dreaded it. Dabi had to say goodbye to the only person that he held so dear. "Munchkin. I love you so, so much and I would never forgive myself if the league managed to get their hands on you. I'm not sure how long I'll be gone but I promise I'll be back" Dabi lamented over his own actions. He would never be able to watch her go through her awkward teenage years. Her first kiss, her eighteenth birthday, her graduation, her first job as a hero. He wanted to watch his baby sister grow up. "They want me dead, but while I live, I will always find my way back to you."