Tango in an Alleyway

After some tears and a surprise nap it was ten a.m. when she woke up again. Spinel stretched, her bones cracking in the process. It wasn't the most comfortable bed, but it was still a bed. I need to shower. Then I'll eat after. Maybe go window shopping and get used to the area. Probably would be a good idea to learn the back alleys sooner rather than later. Spinel sighed and grudgingly got up to shower and get ready for the day.

It's safe to say. The shower was very not ok. She'd turn on the hot water just a little and it would be spraying out water hot enough to boil noodles in. If she went to turn on the cold water by just a smidge, the shower might as well as become ice. She brushed her teeth while thinking of how to solve the problem, she decided she was too lazy and instead choose between the lesser of the two evils. Looks like I'm getting scalding hot water today. I'm ready to melt my skin off.

------

The bathroom was quickly filled with steam and as Spinel exited the shower, she could almost swear she saw steam coming off her skin too. She looked in the mirror and laughed. Well that's probably not good. I look like a cooked lobster. Her mind went into autopilot continuing to get dressed and ready to go as she thought about what she wanted to do for the day. I don't exactly have a hat or anything to hide my hair and face. Maybe I could travel around in my quirk form? No that wouldn't work.... Spinel was so busy being engrossed in her thoughts that she almost didn't notice her purple highlights turning white. The rainbow girl's quirk wore off at the perfect time. What a coincidence. Either way. My hair is at least a different color now. Since I'm going to change some things tomorrow there isn't really a point in buying hair dye. If I just keep my hair loose and my head down, then I should be alright. And it's not like my parents would think of searching for me here first. She looked at the clothes she had on and let out a little huff. They'd never let me leave the house wearing something like this either.

Spinel brushed her hair as she used the motel dryer to get the rest of the water out of her now black and white hair. She gave herself a once over in the mirror. She was wearing a comfortable light grey off the shoulder sweater with the phrase "Lazy day is everyday" printed on it. The sweater was long and went down to her upper thighs. She paired the sweater with black leggings and her fantastically godawful neon yellow converses. She almost wished she had kept the scarf but quickly dismissed as she deemed it unimportant in the long run, it just made her bag heavy. If she really wanted a scarf, then she could buy one later or something. 'Something' being the five-finger discount. It was eleven by the time she was ready.

Spinel quickly scarfed down the left-over teriyaki lunch box from yesterday before abruptly stopping halfway. I can have the rest for dinner. Her stomach protested with a quiet growl that she paid no mind to. It was go time.

She picked up a few items, those being her phone, some money -now in a wallet- and a very nice switchblade she found under the bed. She decided to keep it after scrubbing it out with as much soap as she could use without ruining the knife. Who knows where that knife has been, rather who that knife has been in. Spinel tucked the knife into the sleeve of her sweater, securing it so it wouldn't fall out.

She left the room and locked the door.

--

The shopping mall was a sensory overload. There is everything I want but very little I need. Despite all the bustle and crowds Spinel couldn't help but be impressed. This was the first time she had ever seen a shopping mall this big. Spinel watched as people basked in the attention of the sales staff and pawed over different fabrics and textures. They would try on new boots and hats even going as far as getting a free make-over. How do people even navigate through all this? Spinel walked around taking in the scenery. She had never seen anything like this in her life. If this is just the mall then how would the city center look like? Once Spinel had her fill of colorful signs and price tags, she left the building and started the trek to the seedier parts of the city. "My future home." She mumbled bitterly. She had expected this though. She knew that this is where her plans ended. No matter how well you plan you can't predict what people would do once you take a step into the alleys. No, only Sir Nighteye could do that.

----

Spinel peered into an alley taking a moment to soak in the scene. The dim light oozed through the alley before fading off into the darkness. The entrance to the underworld of any city: gloomy and unpleasant with just a hint of danger. There was litter dumped all over the street and an eerie calm beckoning her to come take a closer look. Spinel should have turned back right then and there, maybe learn to fight before going into the obviously dangerous street, but alas the temptation to see where this alley led to was too hard to resist. Just a little look won't hurt right? I have an hour or two before I should be heading back. I'll ask Giran to direct me to a teacher or something for fighting later on. But for right now.... just a peek. Spinel edged closer into the darkness of the alley then silently crept between the buildings. It was like a maze. Every turn leading to even more, the grime and dirt more and more prominent.

Oh. I'm dead.

A large man with what looked like giant spikes coming out of his arms blocked her path with a sneer. Unflinching. Unmoving. A knife was being twirled around in his large hands with surprising precision. From all the scars it was obvious that this wasn't his first tango in an alleyway, but it was for Spinel.

"You look awfully young to be around these parts. So why don't you come with me and I'll take you home, yeah?" His voice was scratchy, that kind offer of his was clearly a threat.

"Sorry sir, but I know my way home. This is just a shortcut. I'll have to decline your offer." No one knew when or where they were going to die, but this time Spinel would be damned if she would let it happen here, not when she had just obtained her freedom. This is not the time or place. I'm not dying today.

The man chuckled humorlessly, or at least it sounded like a chuckle. "You don't understand. I wasn't giving you a choice." The spiked man inched closer. This little capture will earn me a lot of money, but of course I'll sell her after I have some fun. The man licked his lips, living out his fantasies was his drug of choice. Of course, the game he had in mind wouldn't last quite as long as he hoped, oh but the thrills. The thrills custom made by his own daydreams. What else mattered? The world was cruel to the man, he had been bored and swimming in debt however it just so happened the world decided to hand over this little thing on a silver platter. Oh, it was just too easy. This girl would help him earn money and relieve his.... needs.