In the Blue of the Night

"Tell. Me. Where. He. Is." Growled the black-haired man. He slammed the other man into a wall then picked him up by the throat. "I'll give you ten seconds." Flickers of flame appeared in his free hand. Blue flames.

"T-The warehouse! It's warehouse three!"

"See, that wasn't so hard was it?" He dropped the fearful man on his knees before patting his head. "Tell the grim reaper that 'Dabi' says hi."

Screams were heard that night.

Screams and the smell of ashes.

------

"U-um... m-maybe?" Spinel responded lamely.

Cast Out pointed the tip of the letter opener towards her and slammed it down between her unmoving fingers. "Mousey, next time I won't miss." He pulled the now-established weapon away and examined its edges. "It's blunt. What a shame..." A pause. "...for you that is. Let's go to a different question. What did you plan to do with the photos you took?"

Spinel knew what he was implying. His words promised violence if she didn't answer. "I-I don't know. I was just told to get copies of them."

He smiled dragging the metal along her skin like he was testing her tenderness. How hard would I have to press to cut with this? "Good, good" he cooed. "So." His voice hardened once more "Who asked you to get these files?" Spinel refused to answer yet again. Cast Out clicked his tongue "Mousey, just what am I going to do with you..." He drove the letter opener into her forearm and left it in.

Spinel didn't make a sound. In her intense silence she somehow screamed with her whole body, her mouth still silent. Cast Out wiggled the blunt blade in her arm a little, eliciting a small whimper before he pulled the letter opener out. "Mousey. Look what you made me do. This is all your fault you know."

Horrified, Spinel watched her blood drip down with fear. The ruby liquid spread down her arm to her hands. She wanted to either run away as far as she could or ransack a crate of weaponry for self defense. Her hands trembled. She wasn't used to this kind of pain. "Are you going to answer now?"

"..." Summoning her ever depleting courage her voice came out barely louder than a whisper, "No." Spinel's breath hitched as she watched Cast Out walk to the fireplace. I-Is that...? N-no.

He pulled out a fire poker, it was gleaming red. "I really didn't want to use this Mousey."

Spinel's brain was ready to shut down. She breathed in and out in a sorry attempt to calm herself. It wasn't working. Cast Out hovered the poker over her wrists, Spinel could feel the intense waves of heat flicking at her unblemished skin. "You know, a long time ago they would punish thieves by cutting their hands off. Unfortunately, it's now been deemed illegal, we cant exactly do that, can we, little mouse?. Quite a shame if you ask me." He sighed disappointed. "Well, at the very least I can leave marks that look similar." He pressed the poker along both her wrists, the sizzling of burning flesh leaving a pungent aroma in the air.

The pain wasn't like a sharp needle or a knife, it increased in small pulses as he pressed down harder leaving angry red welts along her wrist in lines. Spinel let out a little sob. She didn't speak a word not trusting her voice.

"Don't be sad, Mousey. We can end this whenever you want." He walked back to the fireplace returning the poker. He knelt in front of her, relishing in the fear and tears in her eyes. "Are you going to tell me anything yet?"

"F-fuck. You" Spinel cursed, which seemed to surprise her more than it did him.

Cast Out slapped her cheek before grabbing a different poker. No, it was a branding iron. A malicious grin spread across his features. "You asked for this Mousey. Stay still now or it'll smudge. Unless you want to do it again of course." He pushed up the back of her shirt exposing the lower right of her back.